Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy Bass+Combo+Pedal(s) set up... help

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by nosedivekarma, Jun 28, 2005.

1. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    I've been seriously thinking about investing in a bass and despite looking at all the other 'beginners advice' threads, I stil need some help. I want to play a more slow, sludgey, very overdriven, very dirty, bottom heavy style of music (Sabbath, Electric Wizard, Kyuss, etc.) and was wondering if you could help me with a good start-up package. I'm looking for solid build quality and poweful sound over versatlilty. I'm budgeting at a maximum of £1k (about the same in dollars) for a bass, modest combo and pedals. I know that i'll eventually need to get a head and cabinet for gigging purposes but at least want a bass that'll last the distance and grow with me (so to speak) as money is very tight and I don't see myself being able to upgrade it for quite some time. Any pointers?

2. What i would recommend it an Ibanez SRX series, very crunchy sounding bass, and really good quality for the price imo

Look second hand for an amp, i would look for a Peavey Firebass and a Peavey 410 cab (4 ohms ) (i picked up this amp and cab for £500 myself on ebay, but that was over a year ago, now they regularly go for about £400)

And look into buying a Tech21 Sansamp bass driver DI, this will give the SVT type sound, really good overdriven sound ( i recently bought an SVT-II myself yet still find use for the bass driver DI myself :) )

Going second hand:
    Peavey Firebass+410 = ~£400 (second hand)
    Tech21 Sansamp BDDI = ~£130 (second hand)
    Ibanez SRX 500 = ~£315 (new) [ http://www.ibanezguitars.co.uk/acatalog/SRX_500.html ]

gives a grand total of £845

and i think you would have a pretty good sounding rig that is very reliable

3. CaM90

CaM90

Dec 14, 2004
    £.1000 = $1800 USD

You could get a decent setup for this cost.

4. No it doesnt

ok, well, by the exchange rate it does, but things that cost $1000 over there usually cost more than £1000 over here

and to import from the US costs alot because we have to pay shipping, packing, import tax and VAT, aswell as with amps you'd need to change the power rating of the amp (easier on some than others), and hell, its just plain simpler to buy things in the UK, because it gets painful to have to return items to the US

5. nosedivekarma

nosedivekarma

Jun 28, 2005
    Thanks for that. I looked at the SRX500 but REALLY liked the styling and apparant simplicity of the SRX400. Do you know anything about these basses too?