heavy bass solo's etc..

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MCBTunes, Feb 6, 2005.

1. Ok, so are there any real metal or anything bass solo's, licks whatever? i mean like someting kinda similar to say... what Motley Crew would have played on guitar...

Something with some melody... because I dont have a guitarist to play with....

Or are most bass solo's wooten style jazz/slap or deep thumping?
  2. squierplayer120

Nov 17, 2004
    well, you could improv off some green day or rancid, but thats not really metal, now, is it.
  3. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You could check out John Myung's solo's in:

Dance of Eternity from Scenes from a Memory
    Ytsejam from When Dream and Day Unite and
    Metropolis Part 1 from Images and Words

Chris Squires - the Fish

John Entwistle - Five Fifteen (sp?)

Geddy Lee - Freewill
  4. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Muse - Hysteria; technically not a solo but it is a great melody

Rush - YYZ

Who - My Generation

Metallica - Anathesia

maybe Billy Sheehan if you dig that stuff.
  5. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Lemmy does a great solo on "Stay Clean" by Motorhead (I think it's from the Overkill album). Shouldn't be that hard a song to play either.

There are some cool bass breaks on Death Angel's Ultra-Violence, but I don't think there are any solos per se.

Ooh, check out Ruins if you can find any - bass and drums only, technically not metal, more like prog/hardcore? The latest album, Tzomborgha, is perhaps the most metal, though in actually it escapes classification.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Overkill - "Half Past Dead"
  7. .357

Jan 16, 2005
    Check out the bassist on Bad Brains' live album, The Youth are Getting Restless. On the last track, iirc, the guy really rips. (Bad Brains was a seminal 80's hardcore band composed of four black guys who could really play their instruments, unlike many hardcore bands then. The also included reggae tunes and Rasta lyrics on their albums.)
  8. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Definitely check out Billy Sheehan's solos. I think he has them posted on his website.
  9. All_¥our_Bass

Dec 26, 2004
    You could try Geezer Butler's intro to N.I.B.[original sabbath version](try to get your hands on the live verison off of Black Sabbath's reunion concert album)
    It's really cool sounding
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    While not really solos Death's "Individual Thought Patterns" has some stellar heavy bass, including a lot of lead/solo esque work (outro to "The Philosopher" comes to mind).

Fretless+Deathmetal = cool :bassist:

The same bassist, Steve DiGiorgio, also plays on a CD called "Visions From the Spiral Generator" by Vintersorg. I would call it more heavy progressive rock than metal, but Steve has some great licks on this record as well (including a really catchy bassline that is nothing but harmonics and sldies).
  11. BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    I second this. Buy Death's 'Human', and 'Individual Thought Patterns' albums. Also, even though Steve doesn't play on the record, their is some really cool bass parts on their 'Symbolic' album, their best one, IMO.

Also, 'Orion' by Metallica (the solo at 6:35 that sounds like guitar), and 'Phantom of the Opera' by Iron Maiden. Both amazing, and very melodic. Enjoy.

Graeme :bassist:
  12. dont forget "soulless" by pestilence ;)
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    KNOW YOUR ENEMY, da-da-da-da-dada-da-dadar, da-da-da-da, da-da-da-da!
  14. Wow! Another Pestilence fan!

Testimony and Spheres were awesome. I miss that band (and Carcass, too).
  15. actually, i dont raelly like them, but that solo is amazing :)
  16. sricabla

Jul 4, 2003
    San Francisco
    For an incredeble short bass solo listen to Anthony Jackson on Phantasia on the Harvey Mason album Funk in a Mason Jar if you can find it. What mind Anthony Jackson has!