1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy Chromes tuned to EADG

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Szybas, May 5, 2010.

1. Szybas

Szybas

May 15, 2009
    Poland
    Hi guys, I've got a little weird question.
    I'm thinking of putting a set of daddario chromes, for a 5 string (those with low B .132), discard the G string, put BEAD strings on and tune 'em UP to EADG, I like extremely heavy and tight strings that give me lots of resistance while plucking, slapping etc.
    What do you think? Will it do damage to my bass? I've heard that a guy did the same thing to a six string (BEADGC tuned to guitar like EADGBE) and the bass itself cracked in half like a swiss army knife. And I definitely don't want my bass to be bowed or broken...

2. toomanybasses

toomanybasses

Feb 20, 2009
    Will the B string fit your tuner?

3. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    The B will likely snap before it gets to E tension. You would also need to file your nut to accomodate the larger diameter strings.

In a nutshell, this is a bad idea. Just get the heaviest set of chromes you can find and be happy.

4. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    bad idea , ive done this with rounds but with flats like chromes that are fairly stiff anyway this will be a very bad idea unless you plan on using your bass for archery

5. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010
    dude you seriously want tension higher than any normal strings offer?

thats intense! lol

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I know there's a guy on here that does this with Rotosounds,. which are even stiffer than Chromes.....