Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy concept ...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I put my brain in freewheel, and came up with this setup. I've got a bunch of PA stuff in addtition to my regular rig, and it could be combined to create this:

In the center, a D-410XLT sitting atop a D-115XL. Then, cap that off with a D-210XLT. On either side of that stack, one JBL MR-818 18-inch sub. OK, set the Eden WT-300 on top of one of the subs, and use it to drive the 210 and 115. On the other sub, set a QSC MX-1500a power amp. Run the DI or pre-amp out from the WT-300 to the dbx crossover that shares the box with the QSC. Set the crossover at about 100 hz, and run the 18's off one side of the QSC. Take the rest (upper frequencies)of that signal, and run it through the other half of the QSC to the 410.

The biggest problem I can foresee is that the subs will shake the amps off onto the ground.

Any questions? Comments?

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...you suck. Go back to Chickens.

:D

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK. It was just a thought. Sheesh!

4. I like it. Put a little sheet of rubber under the amps and they won't go anywhere. Either that or duct tape 'em on....

5. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Duct tape always looks good.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Duct Tape? Well...you'd need a new roll every show.
    That is...if anyone was left standing! :eek:

Munji...the rational, logical, intelligent side of me thinks that's a great setup, and would blow people away, and hopes it works for you.

OTOH, my GAS hates you with a passion.

7. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    I think I'm gonna set it up in my garage just to have my picture taken in front of it. You know, for promo purposes.

8. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Thats not much different then my set up other than the middle stack, but much less power (roughly 5600w with 4 power amps).Rack everything no worries.

I personally think its a great set up!!!!

Mike:D :D :D

9. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    What type of flatbed trailer will you be using to haul it all to gigs?:D

10. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    That sounds like it would work as long as there is only one guitar player. :)

11. The problem I see is that you are severely underpowered, you don't have versitility, and you are using chincy gear!
    I'd throw in the towel!!!

12. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    ...heck, I use the same rig for my practice amp. I don't know what the big deal is.

:)

13. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    if the sheer sound doesn't actually kill you i'd say you have a dream rig right there. That seriously might harm u though, thats ALOT of bottom end. Take a pic atleast, i wanna see that many speakers in one place.