1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy distortion - Help me

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by alphawolf89, Jun 12, 2007.

1. I want to have a heavy metal sound for my bass but they only make 'metal' effects for eletric guitars and not basses. Can I use an electric guitar effect on my bass? Such as the Electro Harmonix Metal Muff?

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Yes...

...and read the FAQ's.

Welcome to TalkBass! :)

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    Yes.

4. Really, but some people have said that the frequencies are different so it won't work or it robs the low end whatever that means. I don't know this stuff at all so I rely on what people say and what I read.

So, I could get ANY effect pedal for my bass and it would work great?

Thank for welcoming me, I look forward to learning a lot here.

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Pleeeese read the FAQ's. This is quoted from the part about guitar pedals...

Some "guitar" pedals work great - the EHX stuff is a good example - but others don't. If there's a particular pedal you're interested in learning more about, do a search in this forum. MANY, MANY, MANY pedals have been discussed and reviewed previously.

6. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    If you want a "heavy metal sound" for your bass I suggest cranking the mids on your amp before you try any effects. That's going to be the only thing that will get you to cut through walls of Marshall Staxx.

That and thousands of watts into as many speakers you can afford. :smug:

7. :D ahhh it gets better everyday....

8. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Ding-ding. Nad hit it.

I think you'll find most audible "heavy metal" bass isn't that distorted at all.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Exactly. I'll generalize and say most people trying to achieve "heavy metal bass" by using distortion are playing solo, since the majority of pro metal bassists are playing as clean as they possibly can into a massive amplification system.

10. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    WELCOME TO TALKBASS! im yer basic friendly neighborhood 13 yr old. if you ever have questions about how the forum works, please, feel free to Private Message me or one of the Effects forumophites such as Bongomania, Mysticboo, Spankypants, or one of the Moderators, abark000 and davidmwilson. we are a tight-nit bunch of basssists here, and most of our threads can be quite fun.

this post can be considered Off-Topic, but i like giving a warm welcome to everyone.

11. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Personally, I didn't like the Metal Muff on bass. I really really like my Tech 21 XXL Bass though for a "metal" sound, but as others already stated, make sure that a distortion pedal is what you're looking for. I only use mine when the guitarist plays solo (as we're a trio), my normal sound is clean with lotsa mids.

12. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    WOAH!!! When was Moogboy's Birthday?!

13. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Friday the 15th. i know, it hasnt happened yet, but.....

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Sometimes I wonder if Friday the 15th is worse than Friday the 13th.

:D

15. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    think about this: im turning 13 on a Friday in the 6th month of the 7th year. :eek:

16. Neat, but not freaky enough to frighten anyone...

For that you'd have to be:

A) A floating poltergeist from Super Mario Bros.
    B) A Zombie
    C) Emo

And we've got all those covered in the Effects Forum;)

Yes, guitar pedals work just fine for bass, but not all of them sound very good.

Do some research on your favorite bands, what kind of distortions they use that get tones you like, then search google or here on TalkBass for info on those pedals. That would be a good place to start.

And Welcome to TalkBass.

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Count me in with the crowd that says a good EQ is better for "heavy metal bass" than a distortion pedal. Trying to compete with two distorted guitars by dirtying up your signal rarely is as successful as setting up a more cutting sound for your bass.

It's not my favorite tone, but Doug Wimbish sometimes cuts through Vernon Reid's layers of distortion by employing an aggressive pseudo-slap and almost bouncy tone as heard here.

Which isn't to say that cutting through with a distorted bass tone can't be done. Doug Pinnick uses a distorted tone in Kings X but then I wouldn't consider them a true metal band and they only have one guitar player.

I get a great cutting tone using either my HBE Hematoma or my Tech 21 XXLB run in front of a SansAmp, but then I generally use it underneath guitar solos or for emphasis when the guitar isn't playing or is clean.

You may also want to check out the FullTone Bass-Drive. It's not my cup of tea, but because it's a modified clone of the Ibanez Tubescreamer (as is the Bad Monkey which also gets love around here) it gives increased midrange which helps in cutting through.

Hope that helps.

18. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yeah, well I was born on the 7th day of the 7th month in '77.

I got a black cat bone, I got a mojo too,
    I got a John the Conquer root, I'm gonna mess with you,

19. DbNBassist

DbNBassist

Aug 12, 2006
    Britain
    MENTIROSO!!!!

20. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Si.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021