1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heavy Duty 210 or normal 410? Cab selection

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by obimark, Mar 13, 2013.

1. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    TBers,
    Just want your opinion, I am building a new rig for small-medium gigs.
    Currently I am looking at 3-4 different cabs, which I can only play 1 of them before buying. Any input is welcome.

My background, I play in a rock/ funk band which is not super loud at all, but normal volume. If I play anything bigger than an Applebees size bar I will go thru PA as well.
    I am either going to pair this cabinet with a PRe-Power, such as Sansamp RPM, Crown or maybe the GB SL 600 or TC head.

For cabs I am looking into these-
    Genz Benz Focus 410T- (seems great for the price, weight is good)
    Gallien Krueger 212 Neo-II. (Not the new UGLY black cabs)
    Carvin BRX 210 (The only thing I don't like is the 4 ohms and seems a little heavy at 56, but it seems like with 600 watts this thing should be plenty with a good head and maybe close to a 410 performance and I would turn it up on its side for playing for dispersion.)
    SWR Golight 210- 8 ohms (Just not sure this will handle enough and would have to add another cab)
    As always thanks!

2. I prefer non ported 410 cabs because they sound tighter and keep the low end of my detuned 7 string bass under control. If you want ceramics check out an ampeg 410 he, for neo check out the swr marcus miller golight cab. Just keep in mind the ohm ratings. The ampeg is 8 and the swr is 4. So the ampeg needs a more powerful amp that can achieve atleast 400-500w at 8 ohms if your using a power amp like that. The ampeg is much cheaper to buy but will probably last longer. I currently use the ampeg with the sans amp RBI and love it

3. Unless you are dealing with a 2X10 made with high excursion "super 10's", you are not going to find one that can keep up with a 4X10 no matter what the wattage rating is.

It's not wattage that gets you loud, it's speakers.

4. There haven't been many gigs that I couldn't do with one 210XST cab. For rock gigs I have PA support. Theatre and jazz gigs don't have PA support in many cases, but for them volume is never a problem even using my smaller combo amp.

It's getting to be a pretty rare occasion when I have to bring out the big guns any more... db750 and 2 XST's.

5. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Yeah ,Eden 210xst- not bad idea either- I think the specs of the Carvin are VERY similar (even down to the weight) but a good deal less $$ new--- do you find it kind of heavy or is it ok? ( guess it is around 55 pounds or so as well)
    That CARVIN seems like it would kill with two 300 watt speakers as well for under $400..
    only don't like not being able to add another cabinet since it is 4 ohms...

6. STOP looking a "wattage ratings" of the speakers. It tells you nothing other then the thermal rating of the voice coils.

Speaker excursion and sensitivity mean much more.

Old Garage-Bander likes this.
  7. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    +1. If you want 410 volume in a lighter, smaller package consider a 15/6 2-way super cab like a fEarful.

8. wcoffey81

wcoffey81

Feb 3, 2012
    S/E Michigan
    i keep reading about the results people are getting with the modern 2x12 cabs so i wouldn't ignore that option either.

9. +1

10. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    That's all well and good info but let me be more clear- What I am really asking is who has played these particular cabs for a stand-alone gig?
    So who uses/has used the Carvin BRX 210? If so how does it hold up, how do you like it? Same goes for the Avatar 210 and the Genz Benz 410T Focus cab.

11. krutonlowend

krutonlowend

Dec 2, 2010
    I am currently running a Streamliner 600 through 2 avatar B210's. Without PA I can usually get by with just one of the cabinets and have not had a problem. I typically bring both cabinets just to have that little extra if I would need it, plus it gets the speakers a little closer to my ears. From what you described I think you would be good with a single 210. I can't really add any input on the other cabs.

Good Luck,

Kruton

12. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Cool. With the Avatar I could always add another 210 just as you say for bigger gigs, and be ready.

13. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    +1 on this set-up.

Mine is two Avatar 210 Neo cabinets powered with either a G.K. MB2-500 head or a Ampeg PF-500 head.
    I'm a HUGE fan of the Avatar 210 Neo cabinets!!!!!

14. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I gig an Avatar B210 neo, and I've been pondering a change to a Streamliner 600 from my current Markbass Little Mark Tube. The MB is a very clean, warm sound that's great for the motown and jazz sets, but lacks a little character for the later rock sets. I've been using pedals for grit and character, but I'm wondering if a Streamliner would be a better fit. I've heard it can be finicky with cabs, but it seems like it might be fine with the Avatar.

15. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    +1

16. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    I would recommend a 4x10 if you expect to have only one cab for an extended period and don't have severe weight/cargo restrictions -- particularly since there are so many lighter-weight options these days. I haven't played the Carvin cab you reference but I have owned and gigged its predecessor 2x10 (the Carvin RL 210T cab) for more than a decade. It is "heavy duty" for a 2x10 and tends to get surprised reactions of the thickness of its sound, but I wouldn't want to use it alone for frequent gigging and practicing unless I was certain of having significant PA support at all times. Even if the volume is enough for most applications, I prefer to plan for those outliers and also believe you'll get more out of your cab and amp in the long run if you aren't pushing it so hard all the time by trying to stretch a smaller speaker configuration.

That being said, if you do want to go 2x10 I do believe that it's hard to be a 4 ohm Carvin 2x10 for the combo of value, tone, and reliability.

17. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Exactamundo. Or a fEARless, too.

Look used here on TB classifieds. Not available every day, but not rare either.

If you don't want to go this way (but you should), then two 210s stacked vertically.

18. jay loren

jay loren Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2011
    PA/NJ
    I've been using the Avatar 210 Neo with my GK500 for small gigs and my GB Shuttle 9.0 for medium gigs. Sounds great!
    Recently I added a Schroeder 210PL (36 lbs.!!) to the arsenal with very good results as well.

19. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Since the OP started this thread, Greenboy Audio has come out with the Fearless 210, which uses the 3010LF high excursion drivers from Eminence. The cab weighs about 47lbs and can produce the volume of a good 410. Tone is wonderful - everything you'd expect of a Fearless cab. This cab is 4ohms, and I safely pump 900 watts into it with a Puma 900 amp.

The Fender Aerodyne Jazz bass in this photo is for sale, BTW.

[​IMG]

20. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    This cabinet would be, I think, the exception to the rule. I'd never even dream of trying to gig with a single 2x10 and I always use a pair.

On the subject of the bass, I love to see Dave's conservation of energy by adding a good plug to sell the instrument! :D