1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

heavy E string avice

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by InsaneBassninja, Oct 27, 2013.

1. I play a lot in Drop C and my C is very Floly even with a .105 string should I go to .110? or .120?

2. Duckwater

Duckwater

May 10, 2010
    USA, Washington
    Yes

3. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL

+1. Is the E the only one you drop? If you drop C then go down on the other 3, it would be a good idea to go up to a heavy set. Drop C on a four stringr' turns a medium gauge set into noodles. You may have to adjust your neck to suite the heavier gauge remember. Some relief.

4. Only problem it is a 5 string HIGH C bass... so am not sure if I should get 32 or 35 for it.

5. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Minimum .120 - optimal about a .130. A .130 will have similar tension to a .100 tuned to E.

6. ixlramp

ixlramp

Jan 25, 2005
    UK
    Are you switching between EADGC and CGCFBb? If so something around .110 / .115. / .120.
    Try to keep the tension between 30 and 50 pounds in both tunings.

7. ok... go with .110 then for my E?

8. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Seattle
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    Understand that changing your tuning from E to C using the same string is going to mean a change of 18 pounds from one to the other.

If you are determined to do this (and you really shouldn't) you should set your into nation with this string tuned to D.

The set that is closest to good for this is .112 .079 .059 .043 .031 or there-abouts.

9. The Strings am using at this time is .105,.80,.65,.45,.30 - with this I think since am Useing DR Neon. Am thinking the overall wight that my Bass is under right now is 214.5 lbs maybe a little less. This was based on D'addario Tension Chart
    Am thinking of something like this for it .110, .85, .70, .50, .35 this would what my Bass is under if its with this set up 253.8 lbs, less thats too heavy. Am not sure how many Pounds this would add or take away. Overall its a 39.3 lbs diffenet. This was based on D'addario Tension Chart

10. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    The first question: is the E string the only string you are dropping the tune on? If so, why not just get a 5-string bass and be done with it?

11. Am droping ever string am geting stroing set so I can use it more Drop tuneing Plus I have a few Five strings one of them is standernd and the other is a High C. Only I like my High C one more. Plus I have a Mid light set on my High C at this time

12. Warmuth

Warmuth

Aug 6, 2012
    I set up a bass specifically for drop C with a .125 E. Thats about as light of a string Id use, 130 wouldn't be a bad idea either. On occasion I've used my main bass set up with a .115 E for drop C but its not something I'd ever want to make a habit of.

13. Am going stick with the .110 on this bass.