1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

heavy fingers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by highenergyrock, Jun 12, 2014.

1. I play both pick and finger style. I mostly play finger style. But I cannot seem to help but pluck/play heavy and hard with my right hand. I do have control as far as creating the proper volume to the striking of the strings when the song permits. But my heavy styld seams to create. An issue as far as the clarity of the notes. Can anyone help me in this matter. I'm open minded to any and all comments. Thanks and keep bassin.

2. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Not uncommon. Practice will fix that. Work on dynamics in a quiet room with your amp turned up. You will find that your instrument will have a much greater range of tone if you learn to play softly as well as hard (and everything in between)

3. The positioning of your hand on the string can have a big impact on clarity. Closer to the bridge will get you more defined notes(and change the tone) but also takes more finger pressure to pluck.

PotsdamBass8 and highenergyrock like this.
  4. sears

sears Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2005
    ec, md
    Exactly. Turn that amp way up and play at the same volume as you were playing before. You're asking the right questions.

highenergyrock likes this.
  5. Thanks for your input brother. I actually do practice in that manner as well as with headphones. I will continue to do so and will strive to correct this issue. I guess I get carried away with my intense passion and forget to just crank it up and carress the bass. Lol Once again. Thank You.

6. deeptubes

deeptubes

Feb 21, 2011
    Virginia Beach
    Welcome to Talkbass!

You could try changing the angle of your attack. When I dig in, I hit the strings perpendicular to the body for a grittier tone and gnarly fret clank. For a warmer tone, I hit them parallel to the body. Playing closer to the bridge makes the strings feel stiffer and less likely to be prone to overplucking, but it changes the inherent tone, sounding a little less beefy. Also, practice regularly with a single finger - index one week, middle the next. Single finger practice could really help minimize overplucking by training fingers to reduce movement.

PotsdamBass8 and highenergyrock like this.
  7. Thx for all the help brothers. I havr found a great place to find the help. Awsome site.

8. samson3382

samson3382

Apr 26, 2009
    Boise, Idaho
    I had this problem for years, and I've noticed lately, if I don't feel I'm loud enough, I'll quickly start doing it again.
    Finally being able to afford quality instruments, amps, and strings helped for me. Get your signal hot, mids up high.
    As others said, turn up very loud, almost too loud, and practice adjusting your volume back to a reasonable level with your hands/technique.

highenergyrock likes this.
  9. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Turn the amp up, and boost some high end. Treble always makes me cringe because I can hear my ham handed left hand.

PotsdamBass8 likes this.
  10. PotsdamBass8

PotsdamBass8 Supporting Member

Jan 23, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Lots of good comments already. If you can provide a recording of your playing, that will help too. I think the bit about turning up will help a lot. I've found that if I'm not turned up enough, my tone is eqed such that I can't hear myself very well, or I am using a compressor, I tend to play harder without thinking about it. However this is also because I generally try to change my volume and tone with my fingers first.

Phalex has a great idea. Crank the volume and treble past what sounds good to you, and try to make it sound good with your fingers. Play around with plucking angle and pressure until it sounds thumpy. It is possible.