Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heavy G&L basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jan 9, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Is it common for G&L's to be so heavy. I picked up a Climax bass yesterday, and I could swear it felt like 11-12 lbs. Like an anchor. I've also noticed this with many L2000s I've tried. What wood are they made of?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ash i believe. I would expect them to weigh similiar to your Stingray.

3. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    You'd be amazed how light my Ray is. Its the lightest bass I've ever played. Around 8 pounds, I believe. They just don't make them like they used to.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ah true, yours is prob lighter, hmm.

5. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I have a solid ash L2500. I guess it's heavier than other basses, not really sure. The weight never bothered me though. I guess I prefer a bass that is a little stout. Not a girly bass that's for sure :bag:

6. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    The new G&l's use a lighter wood with an ash top.

7. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yes, the first impression I had of my G&L 2500 was; "This is a manly bass!" And it looks it!
    [​IMG]

8. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I tried it in a shop

9. Hmmm, I need that model.

How much?

10. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    Aw man, just when I was starting to get over my gas for the Tribute L-2500. Guess I'll be after that antacid now.

11. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    *ghostly voice*
    ".... One of us.... "
    :D

12. LOL! :D

13. I've got an alder ASAT and the weight hasnt' been an issue with me. It may be a little lighter due to the body style though. I'll have to weigh it. I am a big guy though, so maybe that's the reason the weight hasn't bothered me. And I also like a bit of mass to a bass.

joe

14. Do th ASATs neck dive alot? I like the body style but I don't want to deal with neck dive when I'm on stage.

15. FenderHotRod

FenderHotRod

Sep 1, 2004
    Arkansas
    My new G&L Tribute dosn't fill any heavier than my fender Hot Rod. I'm a little guy...now if a heavy dosn't bother me it shouldn't bother a lot of you guys. If it weighed as much as my amp now that's a diffrent story

16. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    my G&L L-5000 is heavy as hell :p but i heart it.

17. bdgotoh

bdgotoh Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2002
    Pacific NW
    There is a lot of variation in the weight of basses out there. I've had G&Ls that weighed over 11 lbs and I still have one that weighs 7.9 lbs. My Climax is 8.4 lbs. I also have a Stingray that's under 8lbs. Just depends on the piece of wood they start with...

18. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    I would be suprised if mine weighs more than 8 pounds, it is one of the lightest basses I've owned. Then again, it's a 4-string and Ive been playing fives for awhile, but its still considerably lighter than my newest edition (ric 4003).

19. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I like heavy basses. Ive played two one was heavy and the other not so heavy. Both were ash. I find that heavy basses arent a problem if you use a wide soft strap.