1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Heavy interference

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by João Bourgard, Jul 30, 2012.

1. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi guys, I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here it is...
    My practice amp (the on i use at home) is a fame bs3-125 and its connected (not directly, the amp as in & out loop plug) to a pedal zoom b2.1u for effects and drum box.
    The amplifier also as a RCA cable plug in so i can plug it to a ipod or something...
    and finally here is my problem as im hoping some of you can tell me how to fix it:
    When i connect that RCA plug to an mp3 player it works fine.. i can listen to the music and play along with no problems... when i connect that RCA directly to my laptop i ear heavy (and i mean HEAVY) interference from the amp speakers...

anyone as though on what is causing this? its obviously from the laptop...

possible fixes??

thanks in advance...

Cheers

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

If you are coming out of the headphones jack, the output on your sound card is too high and it is overloading the preamp section of your amp? Try turning the laptop volume down. RCA inputs indicate phono level signal: low power, like a passive guitar signal. Headphone outputs are higher output and they are not all the same output from device to device so some may overload the preamp.

3. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    Hmnmn, I will try that the second i get home later today.. thanks a lot.. I'll post the result

Cheers

4. dincz

dincz

Sep 25, 2010
    Czech Republic
    What kind of interference? Crackling, hissing, buzzing, or just distorted sound? It could be a ground loop problem but without knowing the sound you're getting it's hard to say.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    My guess would be ground loop. It depends on the sound card and the laptop. We have to interface laptops with sound systems a lot at work and every so often someone's has tons of noise when hooked up.

6. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    OK, i just tryed 96tbird fix and i doesnt work...
    The sound is like a feedback sort of sound (like when you put a guitar right in front of the speaker) with some crackling

Cheers

7. João Bourgard

João Bourgard

Jan 21, 2010
    No more thoughs from anyone? really need help on this....