1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy-ish gauge, mid-to-high tension rounds for 5-string?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Nemidaelius, Apr 23, 2010.

1. Nemidaelius

Nemidaelius

Dec 26, 2009
    I've decided to finally put some strings on my Ibanez K5. I got the bass used and have left the strings that came with it on there up until this point. I believe they are the original elixirs but I really don't know for sure.

I'm looking for an aggressive, somewhat middy sound. I like growl, don't want a boomy fundamental.

I THINK what I want is heavy gauge, high-ish tension steel rounds. I don't know a ton about strings, though, so if someone thinks I'm barking up the wrong tree there, please let me know.

Any recommendations?

Thanks,
    Nemidaelius

2. markdavid

markdavid

Jun 29, 2007
    When you said aggressive and high tension I was gonna suggest Daddario Pro steels but then you said middy so i guess there out, for mids I think nickel strings may be your best best though you will sacrifice some treble compared to ss strings , maybe someone else can be of more help and can suggest a more middy ss string

3. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    Check out Circle K.

4. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    Sounds like Rotosound 66 stainless steel all the way to me.

5. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I would check out DR nickle Lo-Riders. In my mind, they're just what you described.

6. Nemidaelius

Nemidaelius

Dec 26, 2009
    Thanks for the feedback, all. I think I'm going to pick up some .45 - 1.25 DR lo-riders.

7. Nemidaelius

Nemidaelius

Dec 26, 2009
    One quick followup question:
    Given a choice, if I'm going to get lo-riders, should I get the .125 B or the .130 B? Or lights?