Heavy metal bass in the $500-$600 range

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ocrichie, Jun 4, 2005.

1. ocrichie

Jun 1, 2005
    I am into heavy metal and want to find a bass in the $500-$600 dollar range ( new or used ) that would meet that genre of music.

I am between:

$460 new Musicman sub at GC

A used Specter Euro 4 for about $600

Any other suggestions are welcomed!
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Spector Euro, ESP LTD, lots of others too.

Try searching, this same question has been asked at least twice this week.
  3. mobis.fr

Jun 2, 2005
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I found the SUB to be almost as good as my Stingray, which stuck with me for two years of metal.
  5. So many to pick. I have a BC RICH Warlock, A Thunderbird and a Jackson.
  6. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I'd go for the Spector Euro. Dual pickup basses can give you more tonal options than single pickup basses. Also, Spectors use EMGs and I think EMGs are the definitive pickup for effective metal bass, because of their hi-fi quality and great clarity. You can dial in a wide variety of tones with Spectors. They are amazing basses. I love MM basses too (I recently played a friend's Sterling and loved it immensely) but a Spector Euro is a cut above any SUB.

Both MM and Spector basses have lots of metal users, but I still say the best endorsement for a Spector Euro as a metal bass is Alex Webster of Cannibal Corpse.

Go Spector. Even in those rare occasions you may not play metal, Spector will absolutely slay in any genre of music you use it in.

Honestly, I don't think you can ever really go wrong with a Spector.
  7. Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    I played a Dean "Demonator" at a local store last week and really dug it! It is basically a modified Thunderbird copy and looks kinda cheesy, (but in a good way!). I didn't plug it in so I can't say much about the sound... But I was really surprised by the playability...
  8. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    No doubt about it! Go for the Euro Spector. That bass will serve you for a long time, and Spectors go with metal like Guinness goes with Bass (ale that is)!