Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy metal bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rutkn, Jan 13, 2006.

1. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    Hey can some one help me and tell me a good heavy metal bass

influences are:
    metallica
    karnivool
    slipknot
    sevendust

any advice would help thanks

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    price range?

3. Kenbuntu

Kenbuntu

Jun 6, 2005
    Ontario
    I know everyone here hates this bass but: Ibanez EDB605. hehehe, id get it if i could.

4. rutkn

rutkn

Jan 12, 2006
    Australia
    any doesnt matter how much it cost

5. correct me if i'm wrong here, but I think there is a Sevendust sig bass? I've forgotten the manufacturer at the moment.

6. Check out Warwicks.

Thumb Bolt on
    Thumb Neck Thru

7. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    if you want a 4-string Ibanez SRX700 is more than perfect

if is a 5...i dont know...maybe a Stingray or a Bongo, I always thought that a Stingray has a lot of punch and even being a funky bass it could be awesome in metal

8. Honestly, i think a Warwick Corvette is right up your alley. I don't think you need the articulate tone of a Thumb, and between the 'Vette and an SRX, the Warwick takes it hands down.

-ryan-

9. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    The problem is that Warwicks are quite expensive while the SRX700 is a awesome deal for what it offers...very good pups, neck-thru, low action and even the bridge is a good massive one

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    It's made by Epiphone, I played one and to me it felt like utter junk.

Much better out there for that kinda money in my opinion.

11. Ripper

Ripper

Aug 16, 2005
    NY/NC
    BC Rich all the way

just be sure to get a model that's an NJ or better... anything less than that is crap...

12. Depends on how you wanna sound. If you wanna be felt more than heard, I would say go with a MM Stringray or sterling and turn the bass up. If you wanna cut through more, go with something like a spector with a P/J setup, turn your mids up and use a pick. If you want alot of diveristy in what sounds you can get, go boutiuqe and get something with dual coils that you can coil tap. For metal you'll definatly want an overdrive, and either a fuzz or distortion pedal.

13. doormatt

doormatt

Apr 8, 2005
    If you are damn rich, get a warwick thumb bass or a warwick streamer. If you have a decent amount of money go for a warwick corvette or spector legend. If you ain't too much of a rich person go for the Ibanez sr series.

14. yeah there is, its a les paul signature bass made by epiphone, i cant really hear any bass in sevendusts music so i wouldnt be able to compare it to any ibanezes, but thats kinda what LP basses are made to do is to fit in with music and not cut through. my bet is an ibanez would fit in heavy metal...if your into that kinda thing. the bassist from slipknot uses a warwick, but obviously he's doing something wrong cause you cant even hear it, or maybe its cause its drowned out.

15. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Great suggestions here especially the Ibanez and MusicMan basses. I hate to say it but even Fender fits really well here.

16. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    bass is as bass does.

who cares what brand, learn how to play.

17. Ibanez BTB represent. It don't get more metal...

18. +1
    Jazz or P. :cool:

19. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh yes indeed, they are very good for metal, they're good for pretty much everything!

That is, if you can put up with longscale.

20. The ESP basses have a nice metal sound, try LTD F-255 and b-2005 anniversary bass.