Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy Metal bassist here.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by AcousticBass, May 30, 2005.

1. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    Hey im a heavy metal/solo bassist, i was wondering what pedals are essential for that line of work.

2. depends wot sound your goin for! theres no essentials just what you thin sounds good.

Personally I use an ODB 3 boss distortion pedal (Its **** though) a Morley power wah and a boss chorus pedal. But thats because i like the whole cliff burton distortion thing. Just depens what you like!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I would check out a Big Muff and a wah pedal if I were you. Chorus is pretty useful, but other than that, I don't find I need much when playing metal.

Can you give an example of what sounds you are looking for?

4. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    +1 on the fuzz and wah. Cliff is a man and a god. Check out Geezer and Steve Harris too.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Overdrive - Check out a Rust Ride if you have the dime; if you are tight on money try a DOD250

Fuzz - If you have the money, get a Depth Charge. It'll keep your definition with the clean blend function. If you are on a budget get a Big Muff.

Wah - There really are two main camps in the wah category, Dunlop and Morley. You will have to play one to see which one is your sound.

Good luck

6. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    me,only bass ball for metal
    [​IMG]

7. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    I use a boss odb-3 pedal and a boss cs compressor pedal. does the job just fine for me.

8. protoz

protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    Iowa
    Over drive my tubes and go balls to the wall since I have a problem with killing pedals for some reason.

I'd like a wah though and I am picking up a DOD 250 for some extra overdrive soon.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Strange... your the second bassist I've heard use Bass Balls in a metal setting... a local guy uses it too. It really seems to get ultra buried in the mix.

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I don't know what kind of rig your using but I reccommend a Sansamp...it magically transforms any rig. It gives me all the growl and mid-range punch I need for my metal band. I also rock a Fulltone Bass-drive for overdrive, and a Woolly Mammoth for fuzz.

11. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    the sound is too deep but too clearly,give a test and tell me

12. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    i want to play just crazy bass solos with tapping slapping and fast playing like weard sounding, maybe even some synth wah in there,, what other pedals should i get?

13. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well I play metal and currently use:

1) MXR M-80 Bass DI+ (General Distortion use and back up in my rig fails)
    2) Black Cat bass Octave Fuzz (gets a mean RatM type distortion)
    3) Vintage Morley PWB (Wah- CLIIFFFF!)
    4) Vintage Moreley VOL (Volume)
    5) Digitech Whammy
    6) MXR Phase 90
    7) 1 Loooper (to bypass whole signal chain)

I just bought a Marshall JH-1 Jackammer to experiment with the future purchase of an octave up pedal and the Digitech Whammy I already own.

I intend to add later an Analogman Bi-CompROSSor and Chorus w/deep switch.

Ted

14. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    ...envelope filter?

:ninja:

15. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    whats the best distortion pedal i mean a crazy distortion pedal so its like 80%distortion 20%bass i mean like guitar type distortion like sooo crazy makes your ears bleed, so heavy that you couldnt tell if you were playing slap or playing finger style, should i get a guitar effect pedal for this? maybe the digitech heavy metal distortion pedal? someone told me i could get crazy distortion from SansAmp Bas Driver DI but other people said thats for minor distortion.

16. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    DOD FX 86 deathmetal distortion!!!

17. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    a Sansamp does distort but won't give you the level of craziness you are after. Depending on your budget theres alot out there for distortion. Try an EHX Big Muff..won't break your pocket and its pretty sick.

Check out the distortion/overdrive mega thread. Theres a wealth of information that will help you. here

18. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    why do you need effects for the metal i use the tubes on my svp for growl and the rest is in my fingers

19. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Because just like your fingers, effects are tools that one can utilize, or not. It is up to one's individual taste.

Ted

20. Fill

Fill

Oct 5, 2004
    i meant no harm i use all kinds of stuff for playing i agree anything is a weopon :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: