1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy Metal Content - What do you think of my demo songs etc?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Geraltino, Apr 27, 2015.

1. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    Hello, members of Talkbass!

Decided to upload a few of my demo songs to Youtube a bit earlier. Haven't shown these to a lot of people, so don't know really if they're any good... but oh well, got to start somewhere now. :D

So if you're interested in listening to them I'd be pleased! They're sort of "traditional heavy metal" I suppose, very Iron Maiden influenced for starters but there's some other influences as well I hope. Everything else 'cept the bass is made by synthesizers/virtual instruments (Superior Drummer 2.0 for one). A bit rough demos here and there. Hopefully at least my bass playing is decent... :smug:

Thanks! I might upload a few more tracks possibly. :thumbsup:

--Geraltino--

2. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I like every track. It's pretty amazing how good it all sounds, considering the only "live" instrument is the bass.

my two suggestions are this:

1. The guitar tone sounds a bit choked. Maybe play around with something that has little more body to the guitar tone. Maybe just mix a little "dry" signal into it, or something.

2. For the first song, the section from about 2:20 to 3:00 seems a little bit off. I mean, I understand that the idea here is this section is supposed to sound a little bit dragged out. But something needs a little tweaking. I feel like the guitar cuts out a couple of times or misses a beat here or there or something.

Good job, though. I really do like all of it!

Geraltino and Misfit Wookiee like this.
  3. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Pretty cool tunes. the intro to your band's song cape fear kinda reminded me of slayer. I play metal myself. I have 2 bands. here are the facebook pages of my bands.

Temptation's wings
    Temptation's wings | Facebook

Retro master
    Retro master | Facebook

Feel free to check them out. I have my music posted on soundclick, but I do plan to post them on youtube sometime soon. also if you're band is on facebook, I would like to look it up.

Geraltino likes this.
  4. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I had a quick listen to track 1. Good stuff, lots of ideas. I'd say that if you're doing intro sections that have a pause before the main song, watch the "flow" between the two sections - try starting the main riff with just a guitar coming out of the last beat of the intro (for example).

Your riffs have promise, my advice would be spend some time on finding a good groove - it's important even in thrashy metal.

Also - overall the sound is good for a demo, but seriously, get a cheap guitar and learn to bash out a few riffs. It'll sound so much better!

Well done and good luck.

Geraltino likes this.
  5. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    Cool, I'll check these out. I don't have a band ATM, these demos are all made by me.

Think I've been a bit hesitant of joining a band in the past (too shy / introverted in other words?) but maybe I'm starting to get around to the idea now. And I've been a bit too self-critical, and doubting my skills.

Oh well, maybe I'll get some courage eventually.

ANOTHER ADDITION:

A bass solo thingy, played on my Fender P Bass. Doesn't have the best neck for this kind of playing (a bit chunky and wide). Somewhat inspired by Cliff Burton, I'm light years away from him in skill though. :wacky:

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    Crystalman85 likes this.
  6. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I dig the first song. The intro kind of has a Voivod vibe to it. The second song has some good riffs, too.

The third and forth song just sound like filler to me. Kind of like the little guitar interludes Black Sabbath would put on their albums between songs. I always skip those tracks when listening to Sabbath or just delete them from my playlist.

Considering bass in the only live instrument on the first two tracks, I'd give them a thumbs-up. Based on those two demos, I would think you could generate some interest among local, like-minded guys to start a band.

Geraltino likes this.
  7. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    This rocks. I'd be pretty hyped, if I heard that live at a show.

I often like stuff like this. Little textures and half ideas. Sometimes it even feels like a complete thought, even though it may not be a full song. And in the scope of an album, can really add some character and bridge different songs or segments of the album.

Here's an example:

And who knows....one day that little texture you've played over and over, could become a full song!

MattZilla and Geraltino like this.
  8. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Obviously these little 1-2 minute interludes are popular with bands (or the guitarist in the band) because they are fairly common. I still skip over them 90% of the time.

Good luck with your material, though. Find some other guys and start writing songs together. Get others involved in your creative process.

Geraltino likes this.
  9. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks guys!

Well, sure if someone doesn't like these short 1-3 minute interlude thingies that's ok. We all have our own tastes & opinions, but I still like writing something like that.

And btw, that The Forest track in my first post is made entirely with bass, with some synths here and there. Came sounding a bit guitarish maybe but yeah... :)

Think I might upload a track or two more, will see. I've written some more progressive & longer material as well. They might be boring tracks though, one is 8 minutes, another 9 and the latest is 12 minutes in length. :bored:

So all in all, thanks for the feedback!

10. MojoPenguin

MojoPenguin

Jul 11, 2014
    Europe Bro'
    I like it. I've been trying to get around adding drum tracks to my tunes. I do like the tone you have in the first vid :) cool stuff

Geraltino likes this.
  11. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    Thanks! It's just Amplitube 3 amp simulation etc, and I think I had Rotosound flatwounds on my bass in that song. Played it on my old Peavey Zodiac BXP, and I play finger style. Nowadays I use Fender flatwounds on my basses. :D

Think I've focused mostly on mixing the drums and my bass, and the "guitars" have been a bit sidelined... but in my more recent demos I've tried to learn to do something more to them as well. Think I'll post the results soon, I think I've improved them.

Well, not that it matters in demos I suppose, but I also like learning some of the mixing aspect. :)

And if anyone's interested, here's the bass track to one of the songs:

Pardon my crappy playing of course. :D

MojoPenguin likes this.
  12. Geraltino

Geraltino

Apr 2, 2013
    Finland
    Made a cover of Ace Of Spades with a friend (who played the guitars), and I handled the rest. Didn't want to make a new thread so I'm posting it here.

Sorry for the vocals, not sure I did Lemmy much justice. :unsure: