Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heavy metal: esp or pbass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by coolsnow7, Feb 22, 2004.

esp or pbass?

Poll closed Feb 29, 2004.
  1. esp

34.9%
  2. pbass

65.1%
  1. coolsnow7

coolsnow7

Feb 22, 2004
    im a complete noob, and im trying to learn to play heavy metal bass, specifically thrash, and should i buy a bass from esp or get a pbass? all i know is that the esp one that im looking at has great reviews

2. natrab

natrab

Dec 9, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    ESP makes decent instruments. I've had a couple of their mid-range guitars and they were right up there with the MIM Fenders.

An ESP will serve you well if you get it. However so would a P-bass.

3. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah Smash hit the nail on the head regarding re-sale value.
    go with what ever man, i used to have 2 esp's now i got 1 left. I love it...try the new F models or even B models, even the older stuff by ESP is killer.

Honestly the best way is to play them both, then you'll know:)

4. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Depends if you're talking heavy metal like Iron Maiden, or Heavy Metal, asin say, CHimaria.

5. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Maiden uses/used ESP?

I thought Steve's arsenal consisted of a P, an IbAnEz, and a Lado.

6. As far as i know Steve has never used an ESP? Do you have an article or something we can check out SMASH?

They would both do the job fine...i have tried many ESP's, and they are great basses for their price range. Comfortable and quite versatile. P's will work in pretty much anything...its a win win situation IMO.
    Personally even though ESP's arent bad i would go with a P, mostly cause i like the looks feel and the sound better IMO.

7. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I'd get a Ric.

If that's not an option, I'd get something with a P-bass style pickup (Not a P-bass)

8. I'd go with a P bass. they work well with everything.

9. register2

register2

Nov 15, 2003
    for metal, i think a jazz bass is the way to go. it has more bite. jason newstead used one, as well as the badbrains.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You win.

11. A P-Bass would have a cool sound. Think Steve Harris. More bite and easily distinguished. ESP's are darker and don't have as much midrange, from my experience. You won't cut through as much, but that might suit you.

12. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    i have a esp b305fm and it works for me. i wouldn't get a p bass they don't sound good with metal, i mean depending on your style. i play death metal/hardcore. i would use a jazz bass though they sound good. i have one of those as well.

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Something else to consider is one of the Epiphone Thunderbird basses. i'd personally get one of them over a P (I hate P-basses).
    Good biting tone so you'll cut through.

14. coolsnow7

coolsnow7

Feb 22, 2004
    yea thats basically what i play, just a bit closer to thrash; testament is a good example, and their guy uses an esp (specifically the one im looking at, the f-255, though i would probably go 4 string), which is why im looking at that one. does the esp punch when you need it to?

15. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    P-basses have a nice fat tone that is at home basically anywhere. Plus it's dependable, simple, and classic. If that's you bag, then go for it. I played at least 5 drop-dead gorgeous F205's at a local music store (Axe), but none of them had that comfy feel. OTOH, I played a MIM Standard P-bass that played beautifully and looked like a good P-bass should. Hopefully I'll be picking up that P soon! :smug:

16. Peccavi

Peccavi

Dec 24, 2003
    Jonas, pa
    yeah mine has alot of treble to it so i turn that off and the mids and bass half way and it hits nice. my guitarist has an esp as well so they match up nice. if you want a good example of bands who use esp theres skinless, full blown chaos and chimaira who i know use that same model i use. but the f model is awesome as well.

17. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Out of the two you put up, ESP. For consideration, I'll throw the Schecter Scorpion Tribal. Its a beautiful bass and set-up to run dropped tuning. The only negative about it for me is its balance.