Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy Metal Jazz???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Sep 15, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just wondering if any of you know of a band or bands who play music that could be classified as heavy metal jazz...sort of a Metallica meets Miles Davis or Black Sabbath meets Pat Metheney sort of amalgam? Or how about White Zombie meets Coltrane?

Dream Theater doesn't quite do it for me. I may be doing some wishful thinking here as the two genres may not combine successfully, but I was hoping someone here would know of such a group. The reason I ask is that heavy metal doesn't satisfy me as much as it once did, but much jazz that I hear doesn't have quite the edge I am seeking either. Has anyone successfully brought a Black Sabbath vibe to jazz.

2. There's a CD I picked up recently, after hearing the band mentioned on here by a few people; wanted something new, and I'm always one to drop $10 bucks and take a chance unheard.

Anyway, the band is named The ****ing Champs (seriously, that's the band's name), and the album was entitled 'V'. Instrumental, heavy duty riffage, with odd time signatures and lots of interesting guitar work. I wouldn't dare call it jazz, per se, but definitely a jazzy, improvisational feel to it. Plus, they do Bach's 'Air on a G String' that's to die for.

The CD is listed on cdnow.com, but no sound samples, unfortunately.

3. Dillinger Escape Plan
    Mr. Bungle

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Pygmy

Theyre my favorite local band. Dont let the fact that they are merely a local band discourage you from checking them out. They rock.

Its not exactly heavy metal, but a killer jazzy rock band.

www.i-am-pygmy.org

You can download the songs off their site.

Peace
    Nick

5. The opening track on Tribal Tech's album Illicit is pretty heavy. I think it's called The Big Wave. The song starts out with an intentionally cheesy keyboard intro (for comic effect) and then kicks into a monstrous drum beat and some riffing from Scott Henderson and Gary Willis.

Jeniffer Batten has like a 1-minute version of "Giant Steps" which is pretty intense. As is Allan Holdsworth's version of Coltrane's "Countdown."

I don't know if these examples constitute "heavy metal," but IMO, they most certainly "rock!"

6. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Check out the Phunk Junkeez. You couldn't ask for a band more suited to what you are looking for IMO.

My friend turned me onto them a few weeks ago. Give 'em a listen.

7. Candiria. They'll stop in the middle of a metal song and just have a jazz freestyle session. It's really cool. They even call themselves a metal-jazz fusion band.

8. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Candiria probably has the most straight-ahead mix of jazz and Pantera-style metal that I can think of (with a bit of trance and hip-hop thrown in).

Some grindcore bands such as Dillinger Escape Plan and Cephalic Carnage have some jazz-influenced parts, but these are generally small runs.

You might also be interested in checking out bands such as Opeth, Borknagar, Rhapsody and Hollenthon. Not jazz per se, but an interesting mix of metal with other styles. Opeth, in particular, has a Sabbath-like vibe.

Also, if you really want to hear some crazy stuff, check out Naked City's earlier albums, or anything with John Zorn, for that matter.

Although I must add a disclaimer - if you aren't into the whole Cookie Monster Vocals thing, you might not dig any of these bands.

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*tears*

10. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    just downloaded their "III" and "IV" albums...

very cool... i should go out now and buy the cds!

thanks !!

11. Err?

Mr. Bungle has some very jazz inspired songs, i.e. Carry Stress in the Jaw (a prime example of jazz and metal in the same song) and Travolta. Dillinger Escape Plan has some jazzy interludes as well, and they definately have more chops than the average metal group. So please, tell me what you found funny about my post.

12. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JO-
    Have you heard Heavy Metal Bebop by The Brecker Brothers?
    ...just kidding.

Here what I'm wondering-
    Are you talking about stuff that sounds like Heavy Metal OR would you be interested in hearing what "Heavy Metal" might sound like IF played on ACOUSTIC instruments?

If it's the latter, I would recommend the David S. Ware 4-tet...many Metal heads & Punk Rock fans like this group(All acoustic: sax, piano, drums, & bass). If you can't imagine what Hendrix woulda sounded like if he played sax...check out Ware or late period Coltrane(like "Transition"). ;)

Some Rocked-out "Jazz"-
    Tribal Tech(Reality Check & Rocket Science)
    Alan Holdsworth(Metal Fatigue, IOU Live, etc)
    Sonny Sharrock(Seize The Rainbow)
    David Fuiczynski's Headless Torsos

Miles' electric 5-tets(Agharta, Panagea, It's About That Time, etc)

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Excellent nominations here. I will add Painkiller, one of the heaviest bands ever, and they don't even have a guitarist (sax/bass/drums).

I will also add heavy "zeuhl" bands such as Koenjihyakkei and Ruins. Bass players especially should check out Ruins, as much of their stuff is just bass/drums/vocals.

14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Wow! Thanks everybody. I'm going to be busy a long time checking out all these possibilities. I did already check out Pygmy and they seemed more like punk/jazz than metal jazz, but I admit I listened to only one song. Pygmy was fun, but not exactly what I had in mind.

I guess what I'm looking for is if Miles Davis and his "Kind of Blue" crew played the Metallica songbook and it is a pity he didn't stick around long enough to do it.

I hadn't thought in terms of acoustic jazz representations of heavy metal, but I will check that out. It might turn out to be what I want after all.

Again, many, many thanks for the suggestions.

15. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Vernon Reid did an interesting disc a while ago called "Masque," which might fit the metal-jazz description.

How about Mike Stern? There's a guy with shred-tone and shred-chops in a jazz context.

16. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Dillinger Escape Plan is amazing, I couldnt use any other word to describe them. They are so fast and technical and a bit jazzy at times. I'm just getting into them now.

17. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Someone here recommended Opeth. While they're not a jazz-metal band, they do have some jazzy moments that they combine with their trademark melodic death + folk/acoustic sound. Excellent band, in my opinion, and more than worth checking out. One of their songs, Face of Melinda, has a jazzyish feel to it. Definitely check it out.

Also, if you're bored of the traditional metal scene, definitely check out the melodic death metal stuff that originated in Sweden (good ol' Swedes) and the rest of Scandanavia. Some really good bands are:

Opeth
    Dark Tranquillity
    At the Gates
    Dissection
    In Flames
    Soilwork
    Children of Bodom (****ty vocals, but still good stuff)

Don't let the "death metal" aspect scare you off. It's not your brutal stuff like Cannibal Corpse, etc.

Good luck, and I hope you find some good stuff.

Hugh Jazz

18. Boplicity, what you want to look at is McCoy Tyner's '70s output. Does it get any more metal than "Elvin (Sir) Jones," from Trident?

19. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Have you explored Miles' 70-75 fusion period? A lot of that stuff is very heavy. Check out "A Tribute to Jack Johnson" and "Live-Evil" if you have not already done so.