Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy Metal Strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Motorhead Mark, Dec 11, 2004.

1. I am sure this thread has been done to death, but I'll start to tweak it for me:
    I am currently playing Fender bass' using Fender Super 7350 .45-.105 on all 3. I alternate between fingers and pick, playing hard rock (Nugent) real Metal (Black Sabbath / Motorhead) classic rock kinda stuff, punk (GG Allen, Ramones) and country (Cash, Ness). Now, I am looking to see if there are a better set of strings out there to be using for this kind of music with my set-up. I am looking for a sound of Geddy, Geezer, Lemmy, and Cliff Burton blended together if you can hear that. And I am using a pair of Yorkville xs400c's...so I hope this is enough info to get some help from out there...thanx.

2. For my taste I would use either, Labella Hard Rocking Steels, D'addario XL's or DR's Low Riders...But the best you can do is try different sets...

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have used D'Addario XL's and Fender 7250's in a similar situation. I have also used TI Jazz Flats and D'Addario Chromes in a similar situation and gotten positive feedback on my sound. Steve Harris uses Rotosound flats and he sounds good playing metal.

I agree with rulyøngo. Try different sets and see what you like. I ldidn't take me long to discover what I didn't like and what I did.

4. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer