1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy Metal with progressive bassists?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Jun 22, 2007.

1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm looking for more metal bands that have a bassist that does more than just hit root notes.

Mudvayne and Nuclear Rabbit are the first that spring to mind.

Anyone else?

2. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    If you don't listen to Tool, definitely give them a listen. Their bassist, Justin Chancellor is one of the best bassists in the modern rock scene, IMO.

3. Ganib4

Ganib4

Nov 5, 2006
    Not really sure how many consider them "metal" but John Myung from Dream Theater definately hits more than root notes.

4. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Primus is one too.

5. moogboy

moogboy Inactive

Mar 1, 2007
    Moog Artist in Rock/Pop 5th down
    Geezer Butler of Black Sabbath is not a strictly root note player.

6. Steve Harris usually hits just the roots but he does it pretty well

7. distrot

distrot

Mar 26, 2007
    check out psyopus they are unreal

8. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Big Business is one.

9. Cajunmetalist

Cajunmetalist

Aug 26, 2006
    Eunice, La
    +1 for Tool!

10. Cajunmetalist

Cajunmetalist

Aug 26, 2006
    Eunice, La
    Wait Spanky you live in BR and you didnt go to the Tool SHow last month??

11. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I'd have to agree that Psyopus are unreal, but I don't know if he's leaning towards that kind of a crazy tech prog metal thing.

Spanky, you should definitely give them a listen though.

Peace

-Benny

12. I don't know that one could call them "metal" but I'd have to throw in Lightning Bolt. Brian Gibson makes my head hurt in the best way possible.

13. Zero Hour

Troy Tipton tears it up

14. bassist324

bassist324

Aug 29, 2006
    There's lots out there, it all just depends on how heavy you want to go. But if you want something more progressive I would check out Scott Krall of Into Eternity on their first 3 albums, or Thomas Miller and Michael Lepond of Symphony X.

15. stitchbass

stitchbass

May 20, 2006
    Virginia Water
    Since listening to Tool I can say my approach in my 'Heavy Metal' band has changed with regards to how I fill my parts out in a band with just one guitarist. I'm using chords and pedals and a few more effects (verb/delay/chorus) and I find him to be a really tasteful player. Also I've now got a lighter pick in my arsenal that I can really attack the strings with and it helps with the chords and punctuation on the notes. I heard somewhere Justin uses a .71?

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Michael LePond of Symphony X
    Joey Vera of Fates Warning

17. Winger

18. I'm sorry, but you just can't go past Martin Mendez, who plays for Opeth. I would rate him as probably one of the best progressive death/heavy metal bassists of all time.

19. Sean Malone is the man you want to hear. Sean Malone is probably best known for playing on "Focus" by Cynic, but he also appears on the first Aghora album (where is playing is better than "Focus" IMO) and albums by Gordian Knot. The third Between The Buried and Me album is also worth checking out, even though they're more of a metalcore band. I can't remember the bassists name on that album though.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021