Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

heavy-metal

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Per, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Per

Per

Feb 15, 2006
    sweden
    any heavy- metal bands with outstanding bass lines?
    i must have inspiration to write my own songs...

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    If you want groovy bass lines, they are hard to come by in metal. As far as my metal bass playing goes these are some of my favorite influences- Fear Factory, Death, Killswitch Engage, Tool, old Korn, Meshugga (polyrhythms).

I write all the super heavy stuff on my band, on bass. The cooler, more expressive, basslines that I use are usually written as an accompaniment to the guitar/vocals.

3. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005
    I lov the bass in Aces High (Iron Maiden)

4. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Aghora, Cynic, anything with Steve Digiorgio on it, Symphony X, that's just a small start.

5. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
  6. I'm disappointed Black Sabbath has not been mentioned.... remember... he said "outstanding" bass lines ;)

7. Too right. I doubt anyone else will agree, but Cradle Of Filth's bass work deserves some credit too. Check out "Summer Dying Fast" (the original version) and "Malice Through The Looking Glass".

8. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Yep, especially the new realese

9. Neurosis , Mastodon , Strapping Young Lad and Dillenger Escape Plan.

10. Check out Iron Maiden. Steve Harris has some tastey bass lines.

11. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    As someone already said Steve Harris is the man. John Myung's playing in Dream Theater (earlier stuff) is incredible. Also, I think that Eddie Jackson's playing in Queensryche is HIGHLY underrated. I'm not sure you can class them as heavy metal, but check out some early Kansas for some great lines to some progressive music. Especially tunes like Song for America, The Wall, and Paradox.

12. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Any song by Spiral Architect conatins some of the craziest, and IMO, some of the most unique bass lines I've ever heard.

13. fear factory (undercurrent), Mastodon, Megadeth (five magics man! My last words is also sweet.), Opeth, Otep (yes they are different), Symphony X, Iron Maiden, Necrophagist, some Exodus...

Best of all though would have to be Black Sabbath, Geezer Butler is God!!!

a band around my parts is also pretty sweet. check them out at caveatmusic.com i recently picked up there EP, can't stop listening!

METAL!!!!!:bassist:

14. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    Big +1....Geezer, cool...

15. How come that nobody´s metioned Helloween!!!!

Also you should check out Annihilator´s Never Neverland