heavy music , heavy distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sebb, Aug 27, 2003.

1. sebb

Aug 19, 2003
    Marseille FRANCE
    Hi, still looking for some advice for disto/overdrive/fuzz! You can listen to a mp3
    "face the truth" on my band site www.inmaterocks.com and you will know what i mean by heavy music. I'm looking for something powerful and warm (boss ODB-3 sounds a little bit "techno" for me). I'm 5strings, can i add a octave fx with disto?

PS : thanx Mobax for your answer, i think i'll get a MM stingray 4 and go BEAD. As soon as i have the budget!
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    I play 5's too. Have you thought about using the Akai Unibass? It's an octave UP pedal, with the option of adding a 5th above or a 4th below the octave. Built-in distortion too. Goodbye guitar player!

Lots of threads here on distortion pedals, try using the Search function. Lotsa folks here seem to like these:

Fulltone Bassdrive
    Budda Phatbass
    MXR M-80
    Sansamp Bass Driver DI

I've had good luck with MXR

Good Luck!
  3. I've had good luck with the EHX distortion PI pedal, but it depends on the bass. My Ibanez works great with it but my fully passive fender doesn't. The signals of the 2 units just aren't combining well. Try some boss overdrives and distortions. They all seemed to work well for me. I've tried the MXR but it really wan't heavy enough for me and didn't really have the harmonics I was looking for. Haven't tried the fulltone or the budda. Those are quit expensive though.
  4. sebb

Aug 19, 2003
    Marseille FRANCE
    i've been on the Akai site and checked the unibass; it looks great but this is the kind of stuff i cannot find in my town(Marseille, the 2nd city of france!!!!). i've been thinking about HMX PI too(is it the Bigmuff youre talking about?).
    May be the big golden pedal of Drive simulation of Line 6, it looks great but expensive, and never need all these sounds.
    BTW can somebody tell me what Fx uses Nate Newton of Converge? Listen to the 4th track of "Jane Doe" album, it's more or less what i'm looking for.
    thanx both of you, see you..
  5. sebb

Aug 19, 2003
    Marseille FRANCE
    i'm a big fan of converge, and i'd like to know what disto Nate Newton uses. Listen to the 4th track of the album "Jane Doe"
  6. 7thguest

Jun 27, 2003
    imo, sometimes a bass can be more powerfull with only some grit to make it sound dirt and some +lows +highs eq in heavy music.
    For my distortion pedals, an ibanez pd7 (distortion mode) will give you a cold and ver solid state sound with lots of sustain and lows, sounding almost like 80's metallica guitars (and a hell lot of noise and feedback due to very high gain).
    A cranked big muff (either the usa or russian) will give you a buzzsaw fuzz (listen some deathcrush MayheM song like chainsaw guts**** or necrolust, you'll lose lows.
    For my ProCo Turbo Rat, I can't help but to recommend again, since you can get that dirt overdrive sound (maintaining most lows) using a small gain or a big muff alike fuzz with an high gain setting, it's much less compressed and has less sustain than the Muff too (or even any other rat, anyway, less sustain makes it sound more like a bass :p), because of this, it sounds more darker. I'm on a SR640 Pro and a 1x15.
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  8. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    love the mp3.

well recorded / mixed

you have a truly fantastic drummer
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Well mixed? The vocals are completely buried by the guitars. I do like that little triplet thing, though. Now I'll be humming that song all day. I'll whistle it at work, too. That's almost better than some of the rap music I've been listening to.
  10. I had a chance yesterday to test drive a Voodoo labs "Sparkle drive" and was _very_ impressed. This box has a seriously meaty grind and a clean blend to boot. Not a fuzz, more a crunchy OD so it may not be as "over-the-top" as some may like (try a Depth Charge in that case.) This box struck me as one of the better bass OD/distortion units I've tried? I don't really seem to dig any of the current boxes much....should try more I 'spose.
    This box is next on my list;

11. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I haven't tried that one, but before you jump on this bandwagon, give some of Roger Mayer's other units a whirl, first...the Voodoo Bass is a SMOKIN' pedal, and really can go from pretty subtle to extreme crunch!:D

I'll vouch for it as one of the best bass distortions on the market.:D
  12. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Hehe, I liked the catchy melody too.

j/k :)
  13. wooly mammoth

the last word in bass distortion
  14. i strongly recomend a odb3 if you turn the gain up max you get a real thick bassy fuzz its really nice, but if you use it like that just turn it off when you are not playing cause it hisses alot.
  15. Awesome mp3 man.

I agree with the above post that a little grit would go a long way. You really need it to still 'thump' when you come in and support the chord progression because it can get blurry with that much gain on the guitars. In my days of playing that kind of music I would use a DOD death metal distortion for bass solo breaks. It sounds absolutely brutal on bass with the right EQ setting.
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've tried a number of overdrive/distortion pedals, and the best pedal that I have found for achieving "powerful and warm" (and dare I say "natural") sounding overdrive/distortion is the Fulltone Bass-Drive. Yes, it's not the cheapest, but it's a quality unit that sounds great, will last you a long time, and will retain more of its resale value.

Another alternative is getting a tube preamp/head that you can drive the gain on the tube pretty hard to get it to overdrive some. My Mesa Walkabout gets an almost RATM heavy overdriven vibe out of it when I crank the Gain (and turn down the Master).

Hope this helps, Tom.
  17. DON'T get a boss ODB-3. It's not worth the money. Anyone wanna buy one? I'm selling mine :rolleyes:
  18. I double the BOSS odb-3..you can get much better fuzz than that pedal..it acts like a good low end booster for me and that is it......I'd like to try other overdrives really bad..
  19. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    I like the ODB3, and it will give you the heavy distortion you want, and you can balance the original signal.
    Each to their own.
  20. The key to heavy music is super heavy ditstorted and, clean, but deep and thick bass tone.

Bass distortion just makes it's sound far too.....fuzzy.