1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy or Average?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HMZ, Sep 21, 2010.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    What would you consider to be heavy or average for a bass guitar?
    I have a Fender jazz and a Musicman Stingray both weighing in at 9.5 lbs and a Fender P bass at 8lbs.

2. By model, I would say that a StingRay of 9.5lbs is light to average, a Jazz Bass of 9.5lbs is average to heavy and a P Bass of 8lbs is light.

YMMV ;).

3. My feeling is:

Anything under 8 pounds..... light

8 to below 10 pounds or so.... 'normal' (8.5-9.5 pounds or so seems to be the sweet spot for most basses regarding good attack, full tone, manageable weight).

10-11 'heavy'

Over 11..... stupid, uncomfortable heavy.

IMO and IME.

4. Ignore: duplicate post.

5. flewis

flewis Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Bass weight, like the bass itself, is a personal issue for each person. For me personally, I like the weight to be between 8-9lbs. I like to know the bass is there, but not have to constantly adjust the bass due to shoulder fatigue.

My bass that's gets the most playing time, my RV4, weights 9.2 lbs, but feels lighter for some reason. My CIJ 62RI Jazz is 9.5 lbs and that's pretty much tops for me at this point of my life. It's not too bad, but I know it's there ater a while.

This year I sold two of my favorite Jazz basses because they both weight right at 10 lbs. I was really starting to notice the shoulder / neck pain the past couple of years and I use a nice strap. My favorite bass strap is the Sadowsky Neo Strap. A very comfortable strap! Thanks Roger! :)

For the younger guys, a 10-11 lbs bass is no problem and some even prefer a slightly heavier bass. Before this year, when I was looking / gassing for another bass, I never considered the weight. Now, I always asking what the weight is!

Unfortunately, some sellers are that too happy when some of us (older) are always asking the weight! Well, one day in the future, they'll be asking that same question. :D

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 2, 2021