1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heavy Rock, Where do you pluck?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by santucci218, Apr 9, 2010.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Just FYI, I have a jazz bass! Anyways, I've been recording a lot lately. Whether it be metal, or real heavy rock. Im just not happy my bass sound. I know one of the things thats the problem is where I pluck. I pluck directly over the bridge pickup. That's just how I learned and it feels most comfortable to me. BUT, its not cutting it.

I notice players that get a great sound from really digging into their strings when they pluck...such as..

Listen to Champion of the world
    http://www.myspace.com/nuclearrabbitofficial

Another classic example, Rush, sans sansamp. I hate that pedal. But he gets a good growl from his plucking.

So anyways, Where do you guys pluck to get similar tones?

2. I have a Stingray style bass, I pluck directly above the pickup. I think it gives a tighter sound without losing bottom end.

3. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    So kind of in-between me jazz pickups. Do you pluck hard, or just normal?

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Over the neck pickup(on a Jazz style bass), or preferably, in between them, if I have a ramp installed.

5. KsPiNeSh

KsPiNeSh

Mar 28, 2008
    Kansas City
    I pluck right in-between both pickups, and while I've gotten much better at finesse, I just dig in naturally (some might call it poor technique :D). Regardless, it delivers my sound.

6. southshoreconor

southshoreconor

Oct 30, 2007
    The Road
    Endorsing Artist: Fender Musical Instruments, SIT strings
    i pluck (actually *pick*) between the bridge pup and the bridge on my jazz bass. i find myself picking a bit closer to the pups when i play my P bass though.

7. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    I pluck between the two pickups but more towards the neck pup. This is probably because its roughly around the same position i pluck on my p-bass.

BTW i have a warwick corvette, not a jazz but its got jazz pup's

8. Well, I don't pluck very hard because I don't like the way it sounds through my amp. But Geddy Lee plays really hard from what I hear and that is a huge factor in his tone.