Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy Sigh...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, Apr 8, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Some of you may know, I've caught the Warmoth bug... Luckily, there are a couple of custom build shops here in Columbus, to bail me out,, should I F'up...

So, I'm ready to have fun with this... I've been making some plans, except I noticed that on thier pricing scheme, they don't have Explorers priced out, in Koa... Which, is what I wanted to build... (I saw Nino's Koa Jazz bass & said,,, thought that was just amazing,, so I was swayed.)

Anyway, as it turns out, they rarely get pieces of Koa large enough to accomodate an Explorer bass body. Additionally, most figured laminates they have,,, are not large enough to cover an Explorer bass body. On occasion, they DO get them in, but its the exception, rather than the rule.

*Heavy Sigh*

Now what do I do? I want an oiled, clear coat finish that would have a really interesting finish to it. I guess my choices are: 1) A different "extreme" body style 2) a different wood for the explorer.

They can do an explorer in Black Korina, & its something I'm considering, but I cant find any good pictures of an oiled & clear coat Black Korina project. I know its a little soft, & will really need a solid clear coat finish to protect it.

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm surprised they can't do a multipiece body.

For the top - what neck and FB wood were you planning? Maybe a stripe of the same material along the centerline of the top would reduce the width of the figured Koa that's needed?

IMO, Koa with a figured Maple board and top stripe would look filler!

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    First off... congrats on the Warmoth build! I flirt with the idea occationally

Second: Chris Benavente and JP (I'm pretty sure I've seen his) have both build from Korina... here is the back of a Benavente singlecut

[​IMG]

sharp looking wood IMO

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Well, I was leaning towards a Padouk Neck, w/ a Pao Ferro finger board. Because I thought it would be an interesting match against the Koa.

But, from Spedd's photo (BTW, thx) I think the Padouk neck would just look odd against it... so, I'm rethinking this... Maybe a figured maple, w/ the pao ferro fb.

I'm half thinking of doing a mockingbird, because I CAN do that in Koa.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I found a good picture of Black Korina (Limba) from JP's website... JP, I hope you don't mind if I link back to your site...

It's got a good look to it, IMHO...

Black Korina

Then I go back & look at THIS and get all frustrated...

6. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
    Just out of curiousity, whats the difference between black and white korina? Is there any tonal difference? or is it just visual?

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I believe there is no difference tonally... its visual. Black gives some interesting black striping throughout,,, whereas White does not...

8. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    Here's a pic I had of my friend Bill's black korina strat, complete with zebrawood pickguard, rosewood knobs, it's crazy.... it's got a clear gloss, though.

We generally glue wood up into blanks right after we do the rough milling, so we have it ready to use quickly when an order comes in. We set aside some of our more common woods and make extra large blanks for explorers and V's, which is why there aren't as many choices available for these shapes.

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    BW,

I understand that. With that said, if I'm willing to wait... & I put a request in... Is it POSSIBLE, I could wind up w/ a Koa Explorer?

I'm willing to wait it out... Hell, I'll wait 6 months if I have to...

Just so long as someone keeps it in mind, next time a shipment of Koa comes in.

10. bwbass

bwbass

May 6, 2002
    WA
    I passed this question to our shop foreman for the most definitive answer. He said we've likely got a koa board wide enough in one of our storage facilities. If you're interested, he can go dig it up for you, although this means there would be some additional cost involved.

PM or email me for quote if this sounds appealing.