Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heavy Warmoth Body: How will it affect sound?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Johnny Fila, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Johnny Fila

Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I wanna pick up this warmoth body. I think it looks mint, but it weighs 7lbs 5oz. In what ways would this affect the tone?
    Any opinions?

2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Some people feel, heavy wood= bigger tone?
    A normal bass is around 8 lbs.
    Anything over 10lbs. is heavy.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It depends on the type of wood, and how sensitive your ears are to subtle tone variations that come from using different woods. Heavier weight does not necessarily equal thicker, deep, etc. tone.

I will say though, that the walnut body on my old fretless six-string was quite heavy, and had a deep, low growl that I haven't heard in a lighter bass.

4. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Well, just to clarify, this is just the BODY weight before the neck, electronics, hardware etc.
    It will probably wind up being about 11.5lbs when done (I think)

5. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
    Italy
    7,50 ... wow! Really heavy ... but really a beauty! ;)

6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    For me, that's too heavy. I think that bass will end up ebeing in the 13+ pound range if you use a Warmoth neck and I remember you stating you have a USA Custom neck that is lighter, I'd still say about 12 pounds.

My Balck Sadowsky 24 fret 5 dual J is 7.75 pounds!!!!!! When you come over Sat, you can feel the tone for yourself. :)

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    +1
    The Gecko walnut body I purchased last spring weighed a little over 7lbs. The bass finished out a little over 11 lbs but man does it have a huge sound. Very phat and warm. I really believe that without the heavy walnut body to counter balance the wenge neck, I would have had balance problems with the bass.

8. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Where wood is concerned, it's just hard to generalize. Both my Jazz basses are on the heavy side, but they sound like (and in some cases better) than lighter J basses I've heard. Go figure.

9. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Further proof that Sadowsky DOESN"T use Warmoth! Roger's Basses are always in the 8lb range +/- a little.

What is it about the lighter basses that Roger consistently shoots for a weight in a specific range?

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    If you have to gig and gig alot, wouldn't your shoulder feel better with the a lighter awesome sounding bass than a heavy awesome sounding bass, whatever the manufacturer?

11. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    I agree 100%, just wonder if there's something to be said sound wise about the wood also. Are lighter bodies more resonant maybe and exude tones better than a heavier body? I don't know.

12. You should remember that about 95+ % of the sound of your bass will come from the pickups and the electronics.

The wood will affect the sustain and how it sounds acoustically but magnetic pickups only take signal from the strings. That's why an 8 pound Sadowsky will sound better than a 12 pound monster - the vast majority of how the signal sounds coming out of your bass is from the pickups, the pre-amp, etc.

I'd suggest getting a lighter, more comfrotable to play body and invest in good pickups.

13. Johnny Fila

Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Yes but wouldnt the wood affect how the strings resonate? and vibrate? maybe not, honestly, i really don't know and i'm not sure if any of us really do.
    I mean if that's the case, bodies just don't make a difference then. and I don't think that i agree with my last statement.

14. A little... How the strings resonate is more a function of how taunt they are in conjunction with the material used at the two points where they meet the body - the nut and the bridge. Without chaning the pickups, you'll be able to shape the sound MUCH more by changing the nut between plastic, bone and brass and varying the style of bridge than you would by changing the type or density of wood.

The type of wood can dramatically influence the sustain of the strings and in some cases may even provide some kind of harmonic resonation. But the strings you use in conjuntion with the pickups you select will determine the vast majority of how your bass sounds.

15. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    I have a really heavy 6 string bass. Maple neckthrough with maple body wings. HEAVY! Even though I have a really wide neoprene (wetsuit material) strap, my shoulder still complains and gets really tense and sore after a couple of nights gigging. As good as this bass sounds, and I am not getting rid of it, I won't be playing it allnight 2 nights in a row ever again.