Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heck! It was worth a try!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Mar 9, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

http://www.newsday.com/news/nationw...print.story?coll=sns-ap-nationworld-headlines

Police: Woman Tried to Pass Fake $1M Bill

By Associated Press

March 9, 2004, 10:40 AM EST

COVINGTON, Ga. -- A woman was caught trying to use a fake $1 million bill to buy $1,675 worth of merchandise at a Wal-Mart, and was later found with two more of the bills in her purse, police said.

The United States Treasury does not make $1 million bills, but people can buy souvenirs of such a bill at some stores, police said.

"It looks real, but of course there's nothing real about this," Covington Police Chief Stacey Cotton said Tuesday. "People do crazy things all the time. I think it's just another example of some odd things that occur."

A clerk at the store immediately noticed the bill was fake when 35-year-old Alice Regina Pike handed it to her on Friday, Cotton said.

Pike then tried to use two gift cards with only $2.32 of value on them to buy the merchandise, but when that didn't work she again asked if the clerk could cash the $1 million bill, Cotton said. The store then called police.

Pike, of Porterdale, was charged with forgery. There was no listing for her phone number in directory assistance, and she could not be reached for comment Tuesday.

Covington is 32 miles southeast of Atlanta.
    Copyright © 2004, The Associated Press

2. I wonder what truly makes people do stupid things?

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    In this case maybe watching too many Gregory Peck movies... :p

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Now that I know it won't work, I'll just cross it off my list. ;)

5. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
    "I really want to go to jail!!!"

6. I read about that in the paper today.

7. Oops. Didn't search yesterdays posts before posting.

Now where's that delete button... ;)

Bob

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I merged it for you, bob.

9. After reading the stories and watching the news, I am convinced this woman is a lunatic. Also, How can you spend that much money at Walmart?

10. I am convinced that some people actually want to go to jail. :rolleyes:

I think it was the Joker on the TV show Batman who once said that the criminal mind is always superior - HA!

Unbelievable.

Mike

11. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Other than the obvious question ("*** were you thinkin'?") here's what I'd love to ask Ms. Pike......

.....And how much change do you expect back?

.....Or were you planning to leave a really big tip?

......And how would like your change? Small bills? Store credit? The next new franchise in DeKalb County?

Peace,

James

12. Take my 5 year old into the toy section. $1 mil might come up a wee bit short.

Bob

13. Ben_P

Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't really understand why this got as much coverage as it did. It seems to me that people (especially teenagers) would try and pull stuff like this quite frequently. Yesterday at my sister's work a lady came in and tried to pay with half a twenty dollar bill because "thats the way it came out of the machine".