1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hedphones?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Craig630, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Hey gang, first post here.

I've been lurking these forums for the better art of a year and finally have a question I don't see answered anywhere here.

After multiple requests from neighbors, I've decided to gave and finally get some headphones. Problem is, no set of headphones I've gotten to date can handle the bass decently. They distort to high heaven and I've even blown out a few cheaper pairs so far.

I want to buy a decent pair, but I'm afraid to plunk down the cash just to blow out a pair of $100+ headphones.

Anyone got any suggestions?

2. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Thanks!

3. Wait. Are you connecting them to an amp's speaker output?

4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Welcome to the site, dude. panasonic makes some pretty decent headphones. the ones I have has a good bass response. and it costs about 40 dollars. not only does it sound good when you wanna play your bass at night without waking up the neighbors, but it also sound good when you record music.

5. Craig630

Craig630

Apr 8, 2009
    Boston-ish
    Yes. It's all I have right now.

I'm not worried about recording just yet, I've been playing for about a year now, but just now learning to play, you know?

6. Magical_Merlin

Magical_Merlin

Nov 2, 2008
    Kent, WA
    I know that the HD280 Pros are very good. I did allot of research on headphones for my Cafe Walter Amp and I ended up with the Audio Technica ATHM50's. They are awesome! Do yourself a favor, do your homework. There are alot of overpriced headphones out there that you could easily get better performance out of a lesser expensive one. I set a $100 budget on my purchase. Good luck.

7. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Ear buds. Sony makes good cheap ones.

8. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I bought my Grado SR60s through a place called headroom.com - check them out... They'll have all sorts of objective reviews, have great service, and very good prices...

- georgestrings

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Sony MDR's are great IMO
    Many studio guys use the V6's
    Durable, decent bass, and no audiophile pricing

10. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I second the Audio Technica "studio line" headphones. Even the cheaper ones are great. I think my wife payed 50.00 for mine, they were scratch and dent, normally 150.00. Mine are great for silent practice when I don't want to bother everybody.

I only have a 4 string, but they play low E at a volume WAY louder than I practice without farting :) And I do practice with headphones probably louder than I should :)

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I've got a set of Sony MDR-V150 that do the trick nicely. They cost less than $20.

Is your bass active or passive?

If its active then the 9v battery is ample enough to power the headphones so you can plug the headphones right into your bass and that should kill off the distortion.

12. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    That may the problem there.

I picked up a pair of the Audio-Technica ATH-M40fs headphones and they are quite good. They deliver plenty of bass - almost too much really.

13. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    For everyday listening, I have a pair of Sennheiser HD590 headphones that sound great, and they're very comfortable. That said, they're open-backed.

For recording and sound reinforcement duties I use a pair of GK Ultraphones. They block 30dB of outside noise, providing an ultra-quiet background for music. I can hear everything very clearly when wearing them on stage or monitoring a recording session.

After you've listened to phones through a high-quality headphone amplifier, it's likely that everything else will sound second-best - if you're a critical listener, buying high-quality gear will pay huge satisfaction dividends. :D

Good luck in your quest!

14. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    One thing you may want to think about - and something I should have thought about before making my purchase - is if you plan on practicing vocals and backups when you play, closed back sets (noise canceling) are probably not the best option if you want to hear yourself singing acoustically while you play, especially with music.