1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hee haw...an earthquake

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Nov 16, 2010.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    About an hour ago, I was sitting at my desk and a slight rumble rolled across my desk. It literally started on the left side and rolled to the right. It was almost surreal as I watched this little rumble shake my desk and the coffee mug sitting on it.

Sure enough, we had a 3.9 magnitude earthquake about 60 miles south of here. 3.9 magnitude earthquake hits South Sound.

It totally explains why our new puppy was acting out of sorts all morning, and then got all jumpy and agitated about 20 minutes before it happened. My wife and I had just finished discussing what was wrong with her this AM that she was all nervous and jumpy, and the earthquake hit.

-Mike

2. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Dogs seem to predict earthquakes much more reliably than any of us dumb humans and our silly technology.

3. seems like most animals have a closer relationship with the earth since they live on it rather than in a building or around machinery, etc. lol...omg we're killing ourselves with technology! :bag:

4. IconBasser

IconBasser Scuba Viking Supporting Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    3.9? Bah, that's considered nothing more than a relaxing foot massage down here :D

5. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Are all the mountains what are supposed to be pointy still pointy??

6. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Yup. It might make the news, but not get a lot of airtime.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You're right. But anything that I can see with my own eyes gets my attention.

-Mike

8. When I moved back South, after living in the Bay Area for three years, one thing I was glad was no earthquakes..so I thought! Found out we get em too but not as frequent and not as strong. I know the last strong one was over a hundred years ago, centered in Charleston, SC.

9. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    I'd rather have earthquakes than tornadoes or hurricanes. At least with an earthquake all your stuff stays in your own yard.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Not only that, tornadoes and hurricanes are an annual occurrence. We can go years and years between "good" earthquakes!

11. Simo98

Simo98

Jun 18, 2009
    QLD, Australia
    Never been in an earthquake. I imagine it would be an interesting experience.

The worst we get here are cyclones, and they are more exciting than anything. Usually a massive disappointment when they don't show up.

12. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    It gets to a point where you get frustrated waiting for them... like, hey Earth, my balls are blue, how bout one of them shakins?

13. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    LOL! I've been waiting for "The Big One" all my life!

14. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Ha! Yeah, whats up with that? We've been told since childhood that some earth orgasm is gonna sweep by SoCal and flush it out to see.
    I say the Earth is nothing more than a big fat faker. "The Big One", I'm sure, will be anti-climatic.

15. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    watch it happen 5 minutes from now :D

16. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That 1987 Whittier earthquake scared the heck out of me! I will never forget it. That is why I don't live in So Cal any more. My wife said NO MORE we are moving back to the mid west. Now we just have tornadoes & blizzards.:scowl:

I want the beach & hot chicks back

as he looks out the window at the falling snow........

17. MatticusMania

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I almost wouldnt mind, so long as my family and friends were safe.

Come back! We've got a free spot for some beach blanket bingo! All the chicks are gettin buzzed and are ready to go! Its pretty warm right now, about 75, oh and have you heard, MARIJUANA is legal out here! No kidding!

18. IconBasser

Feb 28, 2007
    Fontana, California
    it's not worth it.

19. we had a 7.1 earlier this year, now nothing over 5 wil make the news, unless its very close to the city.

-RTK

20. I was here in the bay area for the Loma Prieta in 1989. That was my biggest, but not my first, nor my last.

I was home sick, asleep. It woke me up. I remember thinking: "We're having an OH MY GOD."

I was more terrified when I was in a tornado warning in Wisconsin. They warn you before you die.

I will take an earthquake anytime.

edg