Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hee Haw, Southern Rock Cover Band!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basegetar, May 23, 2002.

1. Alright, for the summer, I'm going to be playing bass for my Uncle's southern rock/a little classic rock band. We're called, "Skinny and The Platelickers." :D Yeah, so I was wondering if anyone has any advice for me? I usually play Funky/Metally/Hardcorey/Not Southerny Rocky Stuff. Don't worry, I'm not afraid to play straight eighth notes when called for :rolleyes: ;). Thank ye kindly.

2. Congrats on the gig. I'm not a huge fan of southern rock, but it definately has its place in the music world. Personally, I love Black Kali Ma. But anyway...

Aside from straight eighth notes, you probably won't have to deal with too many curve balls. 90% of southern rock is in good ol' I-IV-V, my advice (from someone whose played Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many skynrd covers) is keep the root and the fourth pretty straight forward, and you can play around with the fifth. Play around with the rhythm a little if you want, make it a little bouncy here or there. Sorry if this is a little confusing you'll be able to figure it all out once you start playing with the band.

Hope you don't mind playing "Freebird" ;)

3. From what I hear, I just need to worry about "Whiskey Rock A Roller," and "Ballad of Curtis Lowe." And a whole buncha Stevie Ray Vaughn, my uncle sounds like SRV when he sings, it's nuts. It's cool because I don't mind Stevie, cool basslines.

4. Blux

Blux

Feb 5, 2002
    Philadelphia, Pa.
    Have you heard "The Dixie Dregs" or the other version "The Dregs"? Nothing simple there. Bass lines galore.

5. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Check out some blues and country, cause Southern Rock is really a hybrid of blues and country.

6. What scales do southern rockers tend to use? I notice there are a lot of walking basslines.

7. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    A lot of it would be based out of Mixolodyian. (As a lot of blues/rock/country is) Also, there's a lot of blue notes in the runs.

8. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    First there is a mountain, then there is no mountain, then there is....
    Major pentatonic

9. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I have been a Southern rock player/fan for a long time. There is isn't a great deal of straight eighths.

It is a lot of walking 1,4,5 type stuff with selective twists. Bands like the Allman Brothers, CDB and even Skynard are more jazz enfluenced that one might realize at a glance.

Some of it can be very country.

I suspect you'll get a better work out than you think.

Chas

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    I agree Chas, I have played with many Southern Rock Bands, You wont jump in and play straight 8th notes on alot of the stuff.

Mike

11. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Just listen to Leon Wilkeson's playing in Skynyrd, and you will learn all you need to know. RIP Leon.

12. Hey I know it won't be all straight eighth notes! I was just saying, I rarely play straight eighth notes, but if called upon, I will, I know a bass players job isn't all flash... that's why I'm not a lead guitarist. But then again I do know there are A LOT of walking basslines, that's why I asked about scales. Oh yeah and I got my songlist today... check er out...

Ac/Dc - You Shook Me All Night Long
    CCR - Fortunate Son
    GnR - Sweet Child O' Mine
    Lynard Skynard - The Ballad of Curtis Lowe
    Queen - Tie Your Mother Down
    Queen - Crazy Little Thing Called Love
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - Pride and Joy
    Tom Petty - You Don't know How it Feels
    Travelling Willburys - End of The Line
    Van Halen - Ice Cream Man
    Bottle Rockets - Radar Gun
    I KNOW A LITTLE (Skynard)
    SCUTTLE BUTTIN (SRV)
    LIGHTS (JOURNEY)
    CAN'T YOU SEE (Marshall Tucker)
    THE BUG (DIRE STRAIGHTS)
    HEY BABY (TED NUGENT)
    YOU GOT THAT RIGHT (Skynard)
    BORN TO BE WILD (Steppenwolf)
    LONG AS I CAN SEE THE LIGHT (CCR)
    HEY BARTENDER (Blues Brothers)
    ROCK & ROLL (LED ZEPPLIN)
    HER STRUT (Segar)
    LOVE STRUCK BABY (SRV)
    TIGHT ROPE (SRV)
    YOU GOT ANOTHER THING COMING (Judas Priest)
    HONEY BEE (SRV)
    ALREADY GONE (Eagles)
    HOUSE IS ROCKIN (SRV)
    RAMBLIN MAN (Allman Brothers)
    WHISKEY ROCK N ROLLER (Skynard)
    THE WEIGHT (The Band)
    LOVE ME TWO TIMES (Doors)
    FINISH WHAT YOU STARTED (Van Halen)
    I'M DOWN (AEROSMITH)
    CROSS FIRE (SRV)
    SOUL MAN (Blues Brothers)
    DOWN ON ME (JACKYL)
    HIGHWAY TO HELL (AC/DC)
    HOUSE OF THE RISING SUN (The Animals)
    COMFORTABLY NUMB (Floyd)
    ROAD HOUSE BLUES (Doors)
    BIG TEN INCH (Aerosmith)
    SAME OLD SONG AND DANCE (Aerosmith)
    GUILTY (WARREN BROTHERS)
    RED NECK FRIENDS (JACKSON BROWN)
    THAT'S COUNTRY (Brooks and Dunn)
    SHINE (CREED)
    MY MARIA (B.W. Stevenson)
    ANGEL EYES (Jeff Healy Band)
    SHE WANTS TO ROCK (I don't know Yet)
    DUST ON THE BOTTLE (I don't know Yet)
    ROCK AND ROLL DUTY (I don't know Yet)
    DON'T LET YOUR CHANCE GO BY (I don't know Yet)
    QUEEN OF MEMPHIS (I don't know Yet)

My Dad and I knew who did most of them but we didn't know the last few, I emailed my Uncle though. Speaking of is "Shine" a song by Creed? Because I couldn't find it, and they said they were doing it on the list. So I gotta learn as many of these as possible by the second week of June... well I like challanges on the bass, it will no doubt help me improve my commitment to learning songs. Any advice/warnings on these songs? Wish me Luck :D

13. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Queen of Memphis - Confederate Railroad

This looks like a great set list, you should have a lot of fun playing this stuff. Good luck!

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yes great setlist, I must agree. That's a lot of what my band does. Different songs, but all the same style pretty much. People are really going to dig your stuff.

Shine is by Collective Soul.

15. Showdown

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Are you sure "That's Country" is Brooks and Dunn? I've never heard a song of theirs by that title, but my band used to play a Marty Stuart song called "That's Country".

16. Hey guys thanks for the help figuring out some of these songs... I was wondering why I couldn't find them. Yeah the setlist looks more fun than I anticipated. I'm kinda worried about those blues brothers songs because people around here seem to love Duck Dunn, but that's cool. Plus the intro to Sweet Child O Mine might take work. A few cool walking basslines, but besides that it shouldn't be that rough. Thanks for the help guys... I got a lot of work to do! :eek: :rolleyes:

17. Does anyone know who does these two...

DUST ON THE BOTTLE
    DON'T LET YOUR CHANCE GO BY

My uncle doesn't even know and he can play them!? He says Don't let you chance go by is by some blind guy. I have no clue on dust on the bottle.