1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by delusional-bass, Mar 27, 2009.

1. delusional-bass

delusional-bass

Mar 27, 2009
    Ok, so i have a Mexican Jazz Bass... I'm not so happy with the way it's been sounding. i seem to get allot of clankish sounding noises. I wouldn't mind a little more hummmmm aswell, and also the sustain sucks!!! I was told that replacing the pickups would be a big part of it... what are your suggestions?

2. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I threw dimarzio P/Js in my Mexican P deluxe. Still sounds a tiny bit clanky but a lot thicker and fuller. I think (if I'm hearing the same clank as you) that that's something inherent in Fender basses. I had the same thing with my American P deluxe. Dimarzio was the least expensive gamble, and I'm happy with the outcome.

3. Simon Langley

Simon Langley

Jun 19, 2007
    Chico, CA
    I would try having it set up by a professional first. Where are the clankish sounds coming from? Are the strings hitting the pickups when you play? Try a pro setup and a fresh set of strings and see where you stand after that. If it still bugs you then try a new set of pickups or even a preamp like the Audere with your stock pickups.

4. pickups aren't really going to help your sustain much. If you want more sustain, try going to a heavier set of strings or replace the bridge with something that has more mass.

To get rid of the clankiness, I would try using a parametric EQ to cut somewhere around 2k. Not too wide and not too narrow.

5. delusional-bass

delusional-bass

Mar 27, 2009
    awesome, thanks

6. Mike151

Mike151

Dec 22, 2008
    Sherman Texas
    +1 It also gives room for vocals which sit nicely in the 2k range.

7. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Delusional:

In future, it might be nice if you could humor the rest of us by providing a somewhat more descriptive and informative title to your threads - other than something like "HEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!" - which is childish and disrespectful of the attention span of others.

If you really care about being taken seriously, that is... :rolleyes:

MM

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    If you want more hummmmmmmm, just install some single coils and a neon beer sign in the bass. Should work great and look rather snazzy as a bonus.

9. i put 2 or three times almost a perfect description of my concern in the title... 0 response!!!
    u know how delusional that is?

if i read something like "HEEEEELLLLLPPPP!!!" i am thinking "this guy REALLY need help, let's see if i can do something", rather than be molested.