1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

HEEELLPPP!!! I AM SORELY MISSING MY EUPHONIC AUDIO i-AMP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by savinggrace, Oct 22, 2006.

1. OK, so I traded my EA 500 I-AMP for a Thunderfunk 550 a year ago because I needed more punch to cut through the mix (especially in the lower register/ end of things). HOWEVER, I REALLY miss the harmomic overtones, and the glassy piano bell like tones of the EA!!! I think some of the reasons that my mahogany bolt-on passive Read Custom bass doesn't cut through with the EA is because of the Lane Poor soapbars.

I think the Thunderfunk is a more tonally diverse amp and definitely has more cutting though power, but I am really missing the EA! There is no other amp where chords sounds as sweet as with a Euphonic Audio Amp. Period.

So I was wondering two things:

1. What sort of natural sounding passive soapbar pick ups are out there that might cut through better than the Lane Poors??!! Aero? Nostrand? Others?
    2. Does anyone want to make an equal swap- a Thunderfunk 550 for a Euphonic Audio i-800?

2. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I'm so glad that the time I put my iAmp for sale no one bought it. That would have been a huge mistake as I have numerous recordings and live gigs where it was perfect and it represented me. I sounded like me. In fact I notice sometimes it's not so lively in the studio as a practice rig but live it's perfect.

3. I found the same thing you did regarding the iAmp on the gig. I don't think it's your pickups IMO. Those 'glassy piano like tones' that you describe sound GREAT in the basement... but tend to sit right on the bass drum and cymbals in the mix. I would think this would especially be the case if you are pairing the iAmp with the original Epifani T-212 cab that you list in your profile.

That being said, there is usually at least one iAmp800 for sale on the site. Other heads you might consider if you are looking for a more open sound are the Epifani502/600 and the Glock Soul/Heartrock.

Edit: Also, the iAmp sounds really nice with the very nice EA NL-210 cabs.... punchy, but also very precise, clean and sparkly. If you are considering going back to the iAmp, one or two NL-210's are a very good thing with that head IMO!

4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    1. Lindy Fralin

2. No

5. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
    I lost out badly on that deal. That iAMP 500 sold for $255. A big reason I now suscribe to mibluebook.com. I can get much more accurate and faster quotes on the value of used equipment.

6. Groovin

Groovin

May 25, 2006
    Wash, D.C.
    iAmp: owned.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Is that a common problem or just that specific iAMP 500? How would you detect high frequency oscillation?

I am curious since I own an iAMP 500 and usually run with the volume at half.

8. Hello Dave,
    I had absolutely no clue about the high frequency oscillation situation! I thought everything was alright because you sent out the amp and so forth. I am sorry that you lost out on the trade in/ plus cash deal. I thought it actually would sell for more because of its rarity compared to other amps.

For the record, the Thunderfunk and i-Amp are the best amps I have ever played, I love them both, and I dont think that either of them are better than one another, they just have different strengths. (I have never played a Walter Woods or a Glockenklang though.). It is not that I am unhappy wiht the Thunderfunk- far from it. It does things that the i-AMP can not do (its has some bite to it- if one wants to eq it that way!), but for chords and overtones I think the i-AMP is a little better option.

KJung- Thanks for the tips! I do like the Lane Poors but I do also think, since an uncolored amplified sound (much like the i-Amp) is its strength, that I am left with a very clear but non cutting tone. It's not that the low end is muddled, but there is not much punch to come through. I always thought that the EPI 2 x12 was known for its cutting through nature, but perhaps more so in the mid range as opposed to the low end?

AHHHHHHH Frustration! I havent definitely decided if I shall part with the Thunderfunk. Knowing me, I will trade/ sell for an i-AMP 800 and THAN PINE AWAY for the good 'ol Thunderfunk 550. (Which I do think is the best value for quality vs price on the market/ in the top 5 amps regardless of price and also I have to mention that Dave is a pleasure to do business with.) I actually would love to have both, but just can not completely justify it.

9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    To be honest, I'm not sure what is happening here. IMO, compared to many other pickups, the Lane Poors don't have an accentuated mid-bass response (except the HB models). That might explain some of what you perceive as lacking punch.

Now that I think of it, I found the EA amps to be more open but less punchy than my Eden WT-500. Odd that the TF550 wouldn't sound similar....

Have you done much with the Thunderfunk's EQ? Perhaps you could dial the Timbre knob over to the bass side, or add a bit of boost somewhere in the 120 - 250 Hz region to compensate.

On the pickup front, I have a set of LP M3.5Ws in my Hamer 12-string, and recently installed a Q-Tuner BL-5 in my Pedulla Rapture 5. IMO, the Q is very clear and natural sounding, and definitely well-suited for chords and harmonics. See my previous thread in pickups.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=269689

10. Yes I do have the switch and I use it in the more hi-fi position. I actually think it is one of the reasons that the Thunderfunk is more of a versatile amp than the EA. The 550 compared to the i-AMP that I had (the original i-Amp that was made) is far more robust and thick sounding, its cuts through way better in the mix, and is deeper in tone without the low end definition being lost. The newer i-Amps like the 800 are more full sounding than the one I had, but they still do not cut through nearly as well as the Thunderfunk. So I was and am still very happy with the Thunderfunk in many ways. I just really miss having more of an open ended glassy tone for chords (probably as much as I would really miss having the qualities of the Thunderfunk if I sold/ traded it!). The switch is a nice compromise between the two, but I dont believe one can have as as ideal of both atributed as much as I have in my head.

11. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Probably a silly question, but have you tried flipping the switch to the hi-fi, "tube-emulator" off position and rolling the timbre knob clockwise a bit? The timbre knob sounds so nifty when rolled counterclockwise that it took me a while to seriously spend some time with it rolled the other direction.

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have found this to be quite dependant upon the instrument and playing style. If I were slapping on a Celinder, then yes, I might expect an amp that yields piano-like overtones to hit the lows on the kick and highs on the ride or hi-hat. But, I favor a full - yet balanced - midrange with my instruments and playing style, and at least IME, amps/cabs that yield that full-range, open, dynamic, piano-like tone work great for me in a mix.

Tom.

13. Kevin- Thanks for the suggestion (although it is not with the Thunderfunk that I have the low register accentuation, it was with my old i-Amp (which was the original ones) as opposed to the third (fourth?) generation that is out now. The Q-Tuners seem interesting. I would love to A/B them against the Lane Poors.

14. Oh and Dave Thunderfunk- I am glad there are no hard feelings concerning our trade.

Kael- No, thats not a silly question, yes I have tried that, and I also like the sound that you can get in that set up.

15. My experience with the iAmp was long before I moved to J type instruments, and I actually very rarely use the slap technique on the gig. As posted by a number of others, IMO there is something in the voicing of that amp that seems to result in some issues on the gig in some situations for some of us.

Of course, if I was playing solo like Mike D., I think I would love that amp... it really does provide crystal clarity and 'piano type' tone.. which works great when playing solo or in a low volume/non-dense mix situation.

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin Inactive

Dec 11, 1999
    Oh and for solo work, the clarity and definition mean EVERYTHING

Mike

17. +1 on your solo comment... that takes a very different sort of voicing to work than what most of us require. Some solo bassists I've heard even use reverb, etc.... totally different thing IMO.

Actually, from my experience in playing large venues with large stages with great front of house and monitor systems, the backline rig takes on a very different role... from pounding a clear, punchy tone into the audience to more providing support for the primary system. I would agree totally that the iAmp would work for me in those situations also.

The comments and experiences of quite a few posters comes from a more typical playing situation for most of us on TB.... requiring a rig to project through a busy mix at relatively high volume... resulting in a decent stage sound and carrying the 'front of house' tone. This IMO requires a very different 'tool' versus other situations, and it's surprising to me how much different a tone is required there than in other situations.

18. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine