Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HEELLP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I just recieved my Peavey PV1500 Power amp, to go along with my Sansamp RBI preamp. Now, I don't know how to use it. Does anyone have ANY knowledge of poweramps? I REALLY need help. Please contact me on AIM at AAAEdaji. I'll be on all night.

2. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    Er...

Anything specific you need help with? Do you need help setting it up or something?

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Go to the websites of your gear, and check out the owners manuals.

Normally, you would go like this:

Bass------->Sansamp------->Peavey-------->Cab.

-Mike

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    The thing is, I need help setting up my Peavey. I know it goes Bass, sansamp, peavey, cab. The power amp just isn't doing anything.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    OK, I got ya.

I don't know the Sansamp, and Peavey diagrams from memory, so this is where you come in. Go from the out on the Sansamp to the Peavey inputs. On the back of the Peavey, you will see some output's. That is where you will plug in the cables to run to your cab.

Do you have the PV1500 owners manual? If not, you can get it right here:http://www.peavey.com/products/shop_online/browse.cfm/action/details/item/00455050/wc/2A2C1/fam/2C/tcode/1/v.cfm#

An image, and explanation of each plug-in starts on page six.

-Mike

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I have the manual, and it didn't help >_<. Tech support is only open til 6 eastern.

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Alright....what specifically are you having a problem with?

-Mike

8. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    You either will need to strip one end of your speaker wires to connect your speaker cab to the back of the Peavey power amp (using the black and red binding posts)...OR the wires need to have banana plugs on them (again to the binding posts). Or you need speakon cables (to connect your cab to the speakon connectors).

That's the connection from the power amp to your speaker cabinet.

From your preamp...plug a cable from your pre-amp output to the input on the back of the poweramp. You should be good to go.

Basically...

1. Your bass plugs into the input on the front of the preamp.

2. Your preamp connects to the power amp from the preamp's output (in back) to the power amp input (on back).

3. Your power amp connects to your speaker cabinet using the red and black binding posts (either with bare wire or banana plugs), OR using speakon cables to your cabinet.

NOTE: You can only use the speakon outs if your cabinet has speakon connectors as well.

If not, take your speaker cable and cut off one of the 1/4" plugs on one end. Then split the wire and strip about 3/4" of it clean. Then insert the bare wire into the hole of one of the binding posts (you'll see the small hole if you unscrew the binding nut) and then screw the nut tight.

IMPORTANT: If you are bridging the amp you MUST use only the RED binding posts from each channel. In other words, one side of the speaker wire attaches to one red binding post, and the other wire attaches to the other red binding post BUT ONLY IF YOU BRIDGE THE AMP!!!

There you have it.

Now turn it on and play your bass!

9. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    RTFM :D :D :D

Mike

10. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Ah, problem solved. Guitar Center told me to use a 1+/2+, when I needed a 1+/1- or 1+/2-