Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heffalumps and Woozles!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My new(old) Steinberger project is now pretty much complete. I scored another Steinberger XMTT a few weeks ago, sans pickups. I took the plunge and ordered some Rio Grande Pitbulls, regardless of absolutly no information about them anywhere. I wired them up last night with nothing between them and the output jack other than a 3 way switch. They sound, well... different. Very different. Much darker than the EMGs, with more bottom end and warmer on the top end. They are kind of buttery sounding, and are less agressive. They even make the strings feel different - they are almost kind of mushy feeling. Who'd of thunk that a change of pickups would have made that big of a difference.

So here's the basses:

[​IMG]

And here's some clips! These were recorded direct into a Protools MBox, and then normalized to get the levels equal. The EMG loaded bass has an Aguilar OBP1 in there, which I left flat for the purpose of this recording (I normally keep the bass slightly boosted).

EMGs - both on

EMG Neck

EMG Bridge

Pitbulls - both on

Pitbull Neck

Pitbull Bridge

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I love the sound of that Pitbull in the neck. Sounds pretty growly. I though it sounded a little more agressive than the EMGs.

3. Wow, Pitbulls all the way. Those pickups sound like the namesake-- a mean dog with a nice fat bottom and really grinding tone. Nice sound on both instruments though, the EMG's tend to sound more balanced which is a good thing in it's own right.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I like the pitbull best, way more character.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    The Pitbull neck does sound nice doesn't it?!!!!

Thanks for sharing...

7. I actually prefered the EMG's.

I thought the pitbull's were a little too muddy.

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    They both suck. Send one to me.

:D

9. josh_m

josh_m

May 5, 2004
    Davie, Fl
    EMG vs. Pitbull - EMG - More mellow growl, seem to be more rounded on the bottom and a bit more grindy in the mids.

EMG neck vs. Pitbull neck - EMG - While I think I prefered the tone of the Pitbull they lost a lot of note definition, especially compared to the EMG which were very snappy.

EMG bridge vs. Pitbull bridge - Pitbull - Very tight sounding compared to the EMG, not as nasaly but still extremly tight.

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The more I play these Pitbulls, the more I like them. There's alot of character, and are definitely thicker sounding than the EMGs. I guess it took a while for my ears to adjust and start appreciating them. What I took as mud before has become punch, and what I heard as mushiness has become warmth. Yeah, I think I made a good choice here. I may gut the other one and put Pits in that one too (listening, HeavyDuty?). Now if I can just get rid of that little bit of noise...

In other news, it's been two weeks since I ordered my Moses fretless neck, and still no sign of it. They had it in stock, and it was only 528 miles away. They won't return my calls when I request a tracking number. I'm not mad yet, but I'm working on it.

The only other thing I have to do is get a machine shop to whip up another whammy bar for me and I should be good to go. Any suggestions as to what I should do with the two remaining holes in the body where the volume and tone pot were supposed to go? Flashing lights? Smoke bombs?

11. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I think I like the blended Pitbulls best, and the solo'd Pitbull bridge the least of all the samples.

I, for some reason, just can't handle solo bridge pickups. Gross sound.

The EMGs I like too, though. Don't get me wrong. It's kind of a tossup for me between the EMG neck and the Pitbull neck. I don't think you could really go wrong with either.

12. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I dig the bridge pitbull.

13. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    emg sounded better, but i prefer to judge the sound of a bass by hearing it in a band situation...

14. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    I like how both pickup types sounds. The EMGs sound cleaner and, to me, more versatile; those others do have more ballsy sound to them.

BUT what is Heffalumps? That word Heffalump reminds me of something I've forgotten.

15. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Winnie the Pooh. :bassist:

16. put little plastic eyeballs in the holes. that would rawk.

my dad can probably make the wang bar for you. give me the specs and i'll email him about it.

17. Akito

Akito

Dec 1, 2003
    Spokane
    Funny how the detail of the EMGs really brings out the string noise. I bet if you adjusted the pre a bit you could smooth that out somewhat? Also the neck pit really reminds me of my old Rick sound.
    Which sounds better for slap? I love the steinberger percussive sound with emgs.

18. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Definatley the Pitbulls, although I liked the sound of both pickups. Its too bad those basses are hard to come by.

19. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That's the song I was playing for the clips. It's from Winnie the Pooh.

Here's the lyrics, in case you want to sing along:

They're black they're brown they're up their down
    They're in they're out they're all about
    They're far they're near they're gone they're here
    They're quick and slick and insincere
    Beware Beware Be a very wary bear

A Heffalump or Woozle is very confusel
    The Heffalump or woosel is very sly
    - sly - sly - sly
    They come in ones and twoosels
    but if they so choosels
    before your eyes you'll see them multiply
    - ply - ply - ply

They're extra-ordinary so better be wary
    Because they come in every shape and size
    - size - size - size

If honey is what you covet you'll find that they love it
    Because they guzzle up the thing you prize

They're green they're blue they're pink they're white
    They're round they're square they're a terrible sight
    They tie themselves in horrible knots
    They come in stripes or polka-dots

Beware Beware Be a very wary bear

(musical interlude)

They're extra-ordinary so better be wary
    Because they come in every shape and size
    - size - size - size

If honey's what you covet you'll find that they love it
    Because they guzzle up the things you prize

They're black they're brown they're up their down
    They're in they're out they're all about
    They're far they're near they're gone they're here
    They're quick and slick and insincere
    Beware Beware Beware Beware Beware ...

20. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    The EMG bass also has some fret issues - there's a high fret on the D string, which you hear buzzing on the last note. I've got to get that fixed; there's a repair shop in town with a PLEK machine - perhaps I will get them to stick it in there.

I think the Pitbull is becoming a clear cut winner above the EMG. The slap sound is really good; it's meaty, and isn't so cutting that the treble rips my eardrums out. The Pitbulls are also very kind to bass distortions, and is espcially friendly with my Wooly Mammoth. The Wooly hated the EMGs, since it's designed to work with passive basses and would squish too much with them. The Pitbulls are VERY large, and just barely fit in the pickup cavity. I hope that tolerances were tight at the Steinberger factory in the 80s, because if I order some more I might not be so lucky next time, and may have to do some slight routing.