1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hefner Icon G string rattle

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Crtoons, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Crtoons

Crtoons

Dec 20, 2017
    The G string on my Horner Icon has somehow developed a strange rattle/vibration that I can’t get rid of! Any like experiences and advice you can share?

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Guest

Feb 11, 2008
    Hugh made basses? Sig. Model?

3. Mark76

Mark76

Dec 1, 2015
    Leicester
    Hefner?!?

Horner?!?

mcarp555 likes this.
  4. FranF

FranF Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2004
    Northeastern PA
    Better than the Sunday comics... ;-)

5. Crtoons

Crtoons

Dec 20, 2017
    Ha! Sorry, fat fingers and auto correct/bad combination. Black violin Horner Beatles Bass Icon model.

Stumbo likes this.
  6. Crtoons

Crtoons

Dec 20, 2017
    Horner Icon Beatle Bass - sorry auto correct in action plus my fat fingers!

7. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    Hefner? Horner???? Do I see a pattern here??? ;)

8. Rob Martinez

Rob Martinez

Sep 14, 2005
    I have owned and own Hofner Icon/Ignition basses, violin and Club. Remember, these are not very expensive instruments, having said that, check to see if the tailpiece is vibrating and can be tightened up, also the pickguard may be vibrating when that string is struck, maybe it needs some tightening. Tighten ALL screws, control board, etc. Having said that, so long as it does not come through the amp, not a big deal. At least not to me.

9. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    What he ^^^ said.

Other things I've seen that can cause it: lack of good witness points at saddle and nut, saddles too low, nut slot too deep or too wide or not sloped back a bit towards the headstock, not enough neck relief and high fret ends. With the Hofner bridge make sure the string isn't hitting the rosewood after coming off the little saddle fret. Also, try muting the strings between the bridge and the tailpiece.

Stumbo likes this.
  10. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    Had something similar on bass recently. In my case the fix was pretty easy, look at the bolt on the front of the headstock holding the tuner. You may have to loosen the string first. Check the bolt and see if it's loose, if so tighten and see if that fixes your problem.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021