Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hehehehe.....nuts

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, Apr 23, 2001.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    what'd be a good nut for my sterling fretless. for whatever reason the nut is too low and unless i jack up the action it buzzes. brass? graphite?

jason

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    ha! nuts! i seriously laughed my ass off when i read the thread, i knew what it was about but i still laughed.

3. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    hehe, glad to make someone happy.

anyone?

jason

4. Assuming this is not some joke-trap I'm about to fall into....

I'd go for brass. Also consider bone (real or imitation but treat real bone first), aluminium, stainless steel, carbon fibre, many plastic materials. Graphite - the stuff that pencil leads are made of - is way too soft.

You can make a nut easy enough for yourself from most materials. Get hold of a scrap end of whatever material and file it to shape. Finish it with increasingly fine grades of abrasive paper and finally some kind of polish. You can either file the grooves for the strings on the bench or with the nut mounted: there are pros and cons to both methods. Either way, make sure it fits to the neck nicely before gluing it on. Use needle files to file the grooves for the strings. Begin this by making the grooves deliberately high then keep slowly filing until you're satisfied. Check out other basses in music shops for ideas if nescessary.

If you're not used to working with metals etc like this, have a few practice shots before making the real thing.

Rockin John

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    carbon fibre?! that'd be pretty sweet....

does anyone know if steward macdonald sells Just-A-Nuts anymore? an old catalog i had had them in there but i can't find them now. i LOVe my warwicks, that'd be perfect...

jason