Heinous screeching noise on power up

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by baba, Mar 19, 2002.

1. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I have a 65 reissue Fender Twin. When I power it up, if I immediately take it off standby, it screams the most awful and loudest static/screech I have ever heard. I almost S**T myself the first time it happened! I quickly learned to power it up, wait a few minutes, then take it off standby...this keeps the aforementioned chaos from happening. What is this? I have not had to do this with other tube amps. It was like this out of the box but I was not familiar with tube amps then and figured it was normal. I'm assuming it has to do with the tubes warming since it does not happen when I wait a few minutes.
    I know this isn't typically a bass amp, but guitar is my second instrument, and this is the only place I have found concise accurate info. THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!
  2. Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I don't know what that screeching noise is. But I do know that it is a critical practice to let your tubes warm up for about 30 seconds to 2 minutes before use. This will keep your tube life at a maximum. The screeching noise may be a sign that your tubes are about to go out.