Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heinrich Roth Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by The Jazz Lawyer, Jan 25, 2003.

1. I'm looking at a Heinrich Roth bass (not an Earnest Heinrich Roth bass) and wondering if anyone has any experience with them. I've played the bass and like the sound but just wondering about resale, durability, any history etc. I found a website for Earnest Heinrich Roth who seems to somehow related but not the same maker.

Cheers,

2. Heinrich Roth was the son of Earnest Heinrich Roth. In the early 1930's he and Max Scherl formed the Scherl & Roth violin company. Sorry, but I do not have any first hand info on basses labeled as being made by Heinrich Roth. Up until the last decade or so, Scherl & Roth sold a line of better grade student violin family instruments. The Scherl & Roth basses being sold today unfortunately are now being made in Korea and have been very trouble prone.

3. Henry

Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Flerda
    Proprietor of Superior Bassworks
    Would you mind posting the link to the Ernst Heinmann Roth website?

Bob-are you sure of those dates? Mine is a Ernest Heinmann Roth, dated 1955. Great bass.

4. I don't know anything about a Ersnst Heinmann Roth. I was referring to Ernst Hienrich Roth. However, it's probably a S&R product. As far as dates are concerned, I went back and verified the date - it was 1932.

It's not unusual for big companies like S&R to label a product as being made by xxxx even though xxxx may be long gone or in some case, never existed. Most of the instruments made in Germany were cottage industry products. One worker made nothing but necks. Someone else tops, etc. They all come together at some point and some other people actually assembled the instrument. Companies like S&R are in the mass production business. Eveyone likes to think that their instrument was made by one person, but the facts of life are quite different.

Things are different today. Now the big brand name companies have banks of CNC machines (computer driven carving machines) turning out parts 24 hour/day. It just another assembly line operation in Korea, Romania, China or some other country. If you want a true hand made instrument you have to go to someone like Arnold, or Jeff. If you see someone putting out more than three or four basses a year, it's a pretty safe bet that there is a CNC machine working it's little heart out in the back room.

5. Thanks for the info, here are the URLs to Earnest Heinrich Roth and Sherl & Roth websites:

Earnest Heinrich Roth

Sherl & Roth

The instrument I am looking at appears to be at least 50 years old.

Cheers

6. Henry

Henry

Sep 26, 2002
    Flerda
    Proprietor of Superior Bassworks
    Thanks!