Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Heir plus J-retro: Has it been done?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I was looking around and discovered that Adrian has my next dream bass, mostly.

He has a MTD Heir 5 fretless. Sunburst finish, lined 'board. Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm nice.

Now here's the catch. I want active electronics as an option. The new active Heirs are a ways off. And I bet they will cost more. So I started wondering...How DOES an Heir 5 sound with a J-retro in it?

Talk to me, guys.

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    You might want to check out the dude pit as Dude is the importer of the J-Retro into the States and has a lot of users on that board.

3. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I guess it would be a U-retro anyway.

4. Nocturnal

Nocturnal Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2002
    Chandler, Arizona
    I would think the U-retro would be the answer also. I'm about to have one installed in my P-Bass Special :bassist:

5. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    So I still want to know how it would work. Has anyone out there done this?

The _-retro is intended for two single coil p'ups. How does it do with a single and a 'bucker?

Bueller? Bueller? Anybody?

6. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Bardman, Bardman... why try to upgrade a cheapo with an expensive electronics or with a bridge, as in the other thread? You know, you cant polish turd - maybe those Heirs or new OLPs are good, but if you fish around for a used Lakland - as you said that was the GAS #1, that will serve you better, and you can upgrade that later if you still want to...

Just my 0.02
    ;)

7. How can you call an MTD Heir a turd?? Low price does not always equal bad and high price does not always equal good. The Heir is a great bass. I tried a couple of Heirs and Lakland Skylines (a 55-01 and 55-02). I would take the Heir over the Skyline. Just because so many people seem to like the Lakland Skylines doesn't make it the right bass for everyone.

Craig

8. The J-Retro/U-Retro isn't specifically intended for two single coil pickups. It's got two separate buffers with gain controls to balance the output of the two different pickups even if one's much hotter than the other. I had a J-Retro on a Jazz with a Duncan J/MM setup, and it worked just fine.

Mike

9. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    I second that emotion. ;) I have a Kinsgston, and I agree that they aren't the best sounding bass out of the box. I'm considering putting one of the new EMG MM's in it to remedy the tone problems. Having had the opportunity to play every model of Lakland Skyline out there, I must say I was wholly unimpressed. Not knocking them, because obviously a BUNCH of TB'ers and others really dig them, but they just didn't float my boat. IMHO the MTD imports feel and play much better. YMMV. :cool:

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    EMG MM!?

Peace
    Nick

11. Yep, they just came out, tho' I'm pretty sure they're just the standard MM 4 and 5 string shapes, not the wider "5 with ears" that the Lakland and MTD 5's use.

Mike

12. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats still pretty sweet!

Now I know what im putting into my fretless Valenti when that day comes..... damn GAS!

Oh and sorry but I cant contribute to the thread as Ive never played either. Personally though, from what Ive heard said about both, it would be a wisked combo.

Peace
    Nick

13. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    That's what I wanted to know. I have a habit of 'tweaking' instruments. Often for years after I get them. I'll think 'This bass/guitar/whatever is pretty darn nice as-is. But maybe I'd like it even better with a new _______." And I do it. The three basses I am GASsing for are all nice as-is. But I would probably tweak them eventually anyway, whichever one/ones I actually end up getting. The only thibg I have ever left 'stock' is my Chapman Stick. And that is mostly because I wouldn't know where to get parts.

14. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Yup. Brand new. Found this on Harmony Central the other day: EMG MM

:hyper: :bassist:

15. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Sorry, but the saying goes "you cant polish turd" - cant help that. And immediately after that I wrote "maybe those Heirs or new OLPs are good..." so you can calm it down a bit. ;) And the Lakland is bard2dbone's preference, its in his GAS list - me, I have never had the chance to play one - things like those dont exist here (along with many other basses :( )

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Do a search in the forums on the MTD Heir and you will see that no one refers to it as a turd, or turdlike in nature.

Its a well thought of affordable bass.

If you havent played one, then at least do some research before you start saying its one thing or the other.

Peace
    Nick

17. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    In mutant's defense, most OLP's ARE turds. I just played one that was a fluke and was wondering what it would take to tweak it into something I would keep. The Heir would probably be a keeper from the start. But I would still tweak it. That's just how I am.