Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Held identifying ugly Hondo 80's pointy bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, Oct 24, 2005.

1. I went to Sam Ash and fell in love with how ugly this 80's looking hondo bass was. THere were two extreeeemely large pointy parts on the bass (not a flying V) and it was red and blue...retailed at 109 dollars my guitarist said "you're getting a new christmas present"
    Oh and it had a P style pickup and a volume knob.

I plan on getting new pickups, getting a badass 2 bridge, and some strings (and it'll be very good then.)

2. What do you need identified, you know its a Hondo already... My experience with pointy basses is that they're cool when you get them, but they get retired to closet duty real quick.

3. Just wondering what specific model it is.

4. I think it's a Hondo.

:bag:

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Was it like this? Then it'd be an old Hondo Longhorn...they are great sounding basses and are solid maple. Made in Japan with quality parts overall. Red and blue doesn't sound like it though.

If that's the case, $109 is a great deal...recently sold mine for twice that (and miss it already).

If it's a newer Hondo, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Marshall

Attached Files:

6. BadComrade

BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Sounds like you are talking about the Hondo STING:

[​IMG]

If I ever find a left-handed version, I'm totally buying it.

Gibson explorer? Pfft. I want THE STING!

Operating instructions for THE STING:

1) Do not operate THE STING without safety goggles.
    2) Never run while wearing THE STING. Always walk.
    3) Do not make sudden movements while wearing THE STING.
    4) Never point THE STING at another person. Injury may result.

7. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I have 4 of these. None came in generic colors. They all came like the Dano's they copied. My favorite is like the one you have pictured. Man, I really love mine. Bought it brand new in 1982!!!

8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I'm a schmuck for selling mine. :rollno: It did go to a good home though.

Marshall

9. I remember that and the counterpart bass (made from the ofcut from this one's body: the UFO. I wish I could find that ad, I'd scan it. The body looked like a "rock and roll" comma.

sofa king lame. Notice Hondo was doing the dual-J humbucker thing 15 years before it dawned on Fender? :D

10. BadComrade

BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Took me a long time to find out that this bass was a Hondo... looked like a kramer or a bc rich or something to me, especially with the pointless headless neck, etc...

11. Hmmm it was in the shape of the sting, but it had a headstock and it was a little bit differently shaped:-o It had one P pickup.

12. BadComrade

BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Chicago
    So buy it and post a pic already... :)