1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Helicore Extended E String

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Dec 18, 2005.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Does anyone have any experience with Helicore's long E strings? I am wondering about volume, responsiveness and overall power. If not can anyone recommend an extension string that would be good for orchestral work and pack a lot of power.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have seen the Philly Principal with that set up with regular Flexs for the G,D and A. I recently discovered the Stark Flex regulars and makes the difference when the E, or E/C is mixed with the Regular set. ACtually, the complete set of Stark Flex works great. I have them on several Basses and it is the best I have found to date. The med Flexs has an E that doesn't match the set IMO. That's why so many change only the E. The Stark E fixes that problem and keeps the tone even across the string without changing brands or formulas.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I found Spiro Weich to be the standard for power but not surprisingly it's pretty bright and not the most responsive under the bow. Kolstein VariCor was really piss-weak by comparison. I currently using Pirastro Permanent and very happy with it. After a little while settling in, it's almost as loud as the Spiro on the C and C# and just as loud everywhere else, and has a much warmer tone and better arco response.

I used Helicore Hybrid Heavy on A and E for a time before I got my extension and I did wonder what a long C string might be like.

4. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Pirastro told me that they are no longer making a long E string in the Stark Guage---otherwise I would probably use that.

5. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    What about a superflexible extension string?

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wondered about that myself but having used Superflex A and E and, I'm willing to bet the Permanent is nicer. Certainly the Permanent A is nicer than the Superflex A.

7. I've got the same setup as my teacher. Original Flexocores on the A, D, and G strings, and a heavy Helicore extended E. It's felt great on my bass, although I haven't tried anything else with my extention.