Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Helicore Extended E String

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by dragonetti11, Dec 18, 2005.

1. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Does anyone have any experience with Helicore's long E strings? I am wondering about volume, responsiveness and overall power. If not can anyone recommend an extension string that would be good for orchestral work and pack a lot of power.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    I have seen the Philly Principal with that set up with regular Flexs for the G,D and A. I recently discovered the Stark Flex regulars and makes the difference when the E, or E/C is mixed with the Regular set. ACtually, the complete set of Stark Flex works great. I have them on several Basses and it is the best I have found to date. The med Flexs has an E that doesn't match the set IMO. That's why so many change only the E. The Stark E fixes that problem and keeps the tone even across the string without changing brands or formulas.

3. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I found Spiro Weich to be the standard for power but not surprisingly it's pretty bright and not the most responsive under the bow. Kolstein VariCor was really piss-weak by comparison. I currently using Pirastro Permanent and very happy with it. After a little while settling in, it's almost as loud as the Spiro on the C and C# and just as loud everywhere else, and has a much warmer tone and better arco response.

I used Helicore Hybrid Heavy on A and E for a time before I got my extension and I did wonder what a long C string might be like.

4. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    Pirastro told me that they are no longer making a long E string in the Stark Guage---otherwise I would probably use that.

5. dragonetti11

dragonetti11

Jun 20, 2002
    What about a superflexible extension string?

6. Adrian Cho

Adrian Cho Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    I wondered about that myself but having used Superflex A and E and, I'm willing to bet the Permanent is nicer. Certainly the Permanent A is nicer than the Superflex A.

7. I've got the same setup as my teacher. Original Flexocores on the A, D, and G strings, and a heavy Helicore extended E. It's felt great on my bass, although I haven't tried anything else with my extention.