Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Helicore Hybrids/Obligatos/Corellis...

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by mje, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'm getting back into my arco studies and could use some string perspective from the group.

I recently had a set of Obligatos on my bass, which had a gorgeous arco sound but didn't have quite enough pizz for me. I took them off and put on the Helicore Hybrids that came on the bass when I bought it, and those have nice punch, and I can get a decent arco sound, except up in thumb position where they're terribly scratchy.

What about BobG's favorite, the Corelli 370s? Has anyone compared these to the Hybrids for arco sound?

2. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I can't comment on the Corellis, but someone will.

I traded for a set of Helicore Orchestras this year and they almost worked for me a pizz string. I really liked them in most ways, but the bottom was a little muddy. When it's appropriate for me to experiment with my strings again, I may try putting some Helicore Hybrids low and keeping the Orchestras high. In your experience with the Hybrids, where all of the strings equally hard to bow or was it more the top strings?

Another thought is Pirastro Permenents. Good strong pizz string and they bow well. The G string doesn't get along well with my bass, but it might on yours. If not, I've found Flat Chromesteel to be a good match, quite bowable.

Troy

3. kwd

kwd

Jun 26, 2003
    silicon valley
    I have. To me the Corellis mop the floor with Hybrids for arco sound. The downside is that the G and D can sound brittle, bright. Corellis are easy to start with the bow but I found it difficult to cross between the G and D strings without an occasional squeak. You really need to have the string with bow when you cross. I started my thumb position study after taking off the Corellis so I can't speak for for that. My teacher can't stand them. He points out that it depends on the bass. Be aware that if your bass -like mine- tends to be brighter sounding, the Corellis will underscore that.

I'd say that the 370 E and A give you a little more pizz power than the Oblis at the expense of brigthness. The 370E yields a very clear, unambiguous pitch. However, the Hybrids have more pizz power than the Corellis.

So there you have it... an inconclusive, mixed bag.

Note that I've only used the TX gauge.

4. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    In the lower positions, all the strings bow easy; it's in the thumb position, where I can't get a non-scratchy tone. That's mainly the D and G.

5. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I think it would be interesting to try Hybrids on E and A and Orchestra on D and G.

I have a very old and ragged Orchesta medium set that I'll give you for nothing if you'll post the results. PM with your address if you're interested.

They won't last long, but should work for a test. I also have an unopenned Orchestra set, that I am happy hanging onto for a while, but could part with for a small discount on what I paid if you decide that you want them. As a set, they work pretty well for Pizz. THe E was muddy on this old set I tried, but it was an old set. I was impressed enough to try with a new set, but I got some Flexicores on a trade that didn't have nearly as many hours in them and have some specific work this month that I didn't want to be experimenting through. So, I've got a few things sitting and waiting for April to experiment with.

PM me if you want my aged orchestra set.

Troy

EDIT - I need to make sure I didn't toss them. I usually don't with strings, but these were a little thread bare. If you want them, I'll check to see.

6. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Thanks, that's a generous offer, but I've played the Orchestras on other basses, and while they bow like a dream, they don't have the punch I'm looking for.