1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Helicore Hybrids

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Paul Warner, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Tried the Helicore Hybrids in `medium` gauge and loved the sound, especially the arco response in the lower register. However, I found fingering for pizzicato rather stiff and uncomfortable, particularly for fast jazz passages (Over a period of time they hurt!). A friend who is fully pro also tried them and felt the same. Has anyone tried the `light` gauge Hybrid? I`d really like to know how they compare both for sound and feel with the mediums. I have gone back to Spirocore lights at present, but the bowing response is not as good in terms of sound, especially low down on the `E` string.

2. slapagroov

slapagroov

Apr 24, 2007
    Fort Myers, FL
    I just had a set of the lights. Kept them on for a year. They felt much better, but the tone was about the same as the mediums. I've only used helicore and spiros for the last 11 years. If you dig the spiros, I don't think you'll be quite satisfied with the helicores. On my kay they sound good for jazz. Again - it all depends on your bass, fingers, etc. I'm trying Obligatos for the first time. I'll let you know in a few months what the comparison (on my bass) is!

3. endorka

endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I've had light and mediums on my double bass, and I made mental notes on the sound as I changed the strings over. It's pretty much as you would expect - they both have the same pizzicato twang in the tone, just that the lighter ones were a bit, well lighter and brighter, and the mediums were a bit darker and fatter sounding. There was enough in common that if you like one you'd like the other. The lighter strings were noticeably easier on the fingers. I'd say there was some loss with the lighter strings when it came to arco, although again, they had much in common. I settled on the mediums because I thought the darker, fatter, more pronounced tone was worth the extra effort, especially for arco. If you play primarily jazz pizz., the lighter ones would be worth considering IMO.

Jennifer

4. Thanks Jennifer. Hopefully I`ll get there. I have put Spirocore lights on as I`m mostly dealing out pizz at the moment. I`m wondering whether the player who works in various musical settings possibly needs more than one instrument!

5. SlAucoin

SlAucoin

Feb 19, 2005
    I have the Helicore Hybrid Lights. They sound ok but are stiff to play, as Paul Warner said. I heard a lot of talk about the Eva Pirazzi by Pirasto and will try those next.
    The Hybrids are also stiff in thumb position.

6. endorka

endorka

Oct 15, 2004
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I agree - I only have one double bass, and the setup is biased towards classical arco playing, i.e. high action, optimised to make as much sound as possible. It sounds good on a jazz gig, but the high action makes it more work than necessary for this type of thing. I also think it would growl a bit more if the action was lower. The greater sustain of the Helicore Hybrids are a nod in the direction of jazz playing, but if I was using the instrument purely for classical I think I'd put some Pirastro Flexocor or similar on it... I tried these, great for bowing, but there wasn't really enough sustain or growl for jazz.

At some point in the near future I'm going to fit some bridge adjuster wheels, I think this will go a long way to making the instrument more adaptable to different styles of music.

Jennifer