Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Helicore Orchestras over Helicore Hybrids

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by armybass, Aug 13, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have put two different sets of Helicores on two different Engelhardts. I put a set of Helicore Hybrids on the Engel I play at work and the Helicore Orchestra strings on my personal Engel. I find the Hybrids to be really twangy and not good for bowing at all. They are harsh and not what i thought they would be. I was expecting a much better bowing experience out of them....uh no. But surprisingly I really like the Helicore Orchestra strings and the arco is pretty good and I think I like the pizz better on the Orchestra strings too. The tone is much fuller and warmer to me than what the Hybrids offer. I am sure that a better bass might give up better results but from what I have experienced, I don't think I am a fan of the Hybrids, but I may get another set of Orchestra Helicores if I continue to like them as much as I do now.

2. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    How long have you had them on your bass? I do agree with you about the hybrids...I never really liked them too much, but I do remember them getting slightly easier to bow after a couple of weeks.

3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    They have been on for a few months but I have only started playing arco with that bass for a few weeks. I still would like to find a little lower tension string.

4. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    The Helicore Hybrids were the "upgrade" that came with my plywood with carved top Christopher. I kept them on for six weeks. They got better over time but still sounded poorly balanced and metallic in nature. The 'A' string was particularly bad.

I switched to Obligatos and my tone improved in every way. There is absolutely no comparison on my particular bass.

Good Luck . . .

5. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    We are absolutely talking about the same strings.....lol. That is exactly how I would describe these strings, but the Orchs are much better sounding. I played the bass arco for a good while tonight and they sound pretty darn good compared to the Hybrids.