Helicore Orchestras over Helicore Hybrids

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by armybass, Aug 13, 2004.

1. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001
    I have put two different sets of Helicores on two different Engelhardts. I put a set of Helicore Hybrids on the Engel I play at work and the Helicore Orchestra strings on my personal Engel. I find the Hybrids to be really twangy and not good for bowing at all. They are harsh and not what i thought they would be. I was expecting a much better bowing experience out of them....uh no. But surprisingly I really like the Helicore Orchestra strings and the arco is pretty good and I think I like the pizz better on the Orchestra strings too. The tone is much fuller and warmer to me than what the Hybrids offer. I am sure that a better bass might give up better results but from what I have experienced, I don't think I am a fan of the Hybrids, but I may get another set of Orchestra Helicores if I continue to like them as much as I do now.
  2. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    How long have you had them on your bass? I do agree with you about the hybrids...I never really liked them too much, but I do remember them getting slightly easier to bow after a couple of weeks.
  3. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    They have been on for a few months but I have only started playing arco with that bass for a few weeks. I still would like to find a little lower tension string.
  4. FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    The Helicore Hybrids were the "upgrade" that came with my plywood with carved top Christopher. I kept them on for six weeks. They got better over time but still sounded poorly balanced and metallic in nature. The 'A' string was particularly bad.

I switched to Obligatos and my tone improved in every way. There is absolutely no comparison on my particular bass.

Good Luck . . .
  5. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    We are absolutely talking about the same strings.....lol. That is exactly how I would describe these strings, but the Orchs are much better sounding. I played the bass arco for a good while tonight and they sound pretty darn good compared to the Hybrids.