1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Helicore Pizzicato series -- How are they for bowing?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by pskelly, Jul 20, 2007.

1. pskelly

pskelly

Nov 7, 2005
    Hartford, CT
    Does anybody have any experience with bowing these strings? I was given a medium tension set.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I used a Heavy E at one time. It bows kind of like a Spiro - good or bad is up to you. I like Spiros for low strings (E and down) as they speak quickly with the bow.

3. Dave Whitla

Dave Whitla

Apr 25, 2006
    Ireland
    The Pizzicato strings aren't great with the bow (hence the name). The Hybrids are a bit better, but I don't care for their sound.

There are a few threads around on strings like the Obligatos which are pretty good for both types of playing. I think you'll find a lot of people here are searching for a really good 'hybrid' string...

4. pskelly

pskelly

Nov 7, 2005
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks for the help. I have used Obligatos -- they came on my bass -- but not Spirocores yet.

5. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    IME, Spiros bow better than Helicore Pizz...but the Helicore hybrids are most forgiving with the bow.