Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

helicore v.s. corelli 370

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by kurt, Mar 18, 2004.

1. I am currently using helicore orchestra light strings and I am reasonably satisfied with them but I am intersted in trying out the corellis.I play pizz. arco and slap regularly and I'm trying to find a string that works well for everything.My bass is very bright with lot's of sustain so I don't mind a string that's a bit mellower.I was originally intrested in trying the obligato's but after reading comments about their short life i'm not sure I want to try them.I tried a bass that had corellis on it and liked it.I also like a low tension string for slapping.Has anyone tried the helicores and corellis on the same bass?I'm interested in how they compare. Kurt.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Well, if your bass is very bright, you may find the Corellis too bright.
    Maybe you'd be more lucky with Flexocors. ('92) (ruby silk at the ball end)
    Furthermore they're available in three gauges, plus solo-tuning.
    You may like the thin gauge.
    Flexocors are warm sounding strings, and coupled with a bright bass with lots of sustain, you may get interesting results.

François

3. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I have used helicore hybrids and orchestras on my bass, and I found them to be too neutral sounding for my tastes. I did not find anything special about those strings. After many other strings, I finally settled on the corelli 370tx. I really love these strings...they are initially bright, but mellow a little in about a week. They have nice sustain and have a really sweet tone (on my bass anyway). Also, on my 7/8 size bass, the helicores would tend to feel stiff. As far as a hybrid string, the corellis have been the best ones I have found.

4. I am interested in trying the Corelli 370tx strings, but I am worried they will feel too thin. I started out playing Gut and now use Obligato E & A and Eudoxa D & G strings. I understand that the Corellis are very flexible and have good sustain, but I am worried it will be too drastic of a change. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

5. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Playing on Corellis after Obligatos/Eudoxas will be very strange, both in feel and tone I think.
    The Corellis would seem thin in both thickness and tone.
    You may want to get in touch with Barrie Kolstein and get a set of his new "Heritage" perlon core strings.
    Coordinates available at http://www.kolstein.com

6. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    My bass has had all 4 brands mentioned: Obligato, Flexocor, Helicore (both hybrid and jazz) and Corelli 370tx.
    Depending on what you're doing, I'd say Flexocor for mostly orchestral playing or Corelli for mostly pizz, although they bow very well. As mentioned, Corelli's start out bright, but not Spirocore bright, and then setlle down after a week or so. Corelli's are a comfortable string - if you're playing long gigs.

7. Does anybody Know the relative tension between the helicore light and the different gages of corelli and flexocore?I'd like something at least as light as the helicore light.Also,are the flexocores darker sounding than the helicore orchestras?

8. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Unfortunately, Savarez (makers of Corelli strings) and Pirastro (makers of Flexocors) don't publish the tension of their strings.
    IMO yes.

9. I decided to got with the corellis.I liked the low tension feel but the A string in paricular was really tinny and bright compared to the rest of them,has anybody else noticed this?I also got a really bad buzz happening on the A string from C all the way up to E.I left them on for about two weeks to see if they calmed down a bit but it stayed about the same.Is it possible that a faulty string could cause a buzz?Or is it just a fingerboard problem?Anyway when I put the helicore orchestra lights back on the buzz dissapeared.I don't think the tension of them is a lot higher.Are warmer sounding strings less prone to buzzing?I use an underwood pickup and the corellis sounded pretty nasal with it.I guess I'll have to try the flexocores next.How do they compare to the helicores,are the light guage ones similar in tension to the helicore light's?Are the flexocores as dull and thumpy as gut or do they still have some sustain?

10. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Kurt, if you like the lower-mid quality of Corelli, but having buzz problems, you might want to try Pirastro permanents. They sound fairly similar to Corellis, but don't buzz as much. Maybe it's because they are higher tension? They have a real smooth finish, too.
    They have less sustain - more thumpy, but that actually seems to be agreeing with my Full Circle better. They are supposed to be an arco string, and they do that well, but I'm liking the dry pizz.

11. What's the difference between the flexocores and the permanents?

12. JonB

JonB

May 27, 2003
    Indianapolis
    Sorry, Kurt but it's been too long since I've had Flexocores to compare.
    I recall they were a very good orchestral string. Maybe someone with more recent experience will help out.

13. Francois Blais

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    The Permanents are quite brighter than the Flexocors, and higher tension too.
    If you're looking for a light string, just forget about them.