Hellcat VI, OLP MM5, Fender Bari Jag soundclips?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Aug 16, 2005.

1. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    does anyone have any sound clips on any of these basses?

I'm still trying to decide between a 5 or 6 string pbass or one of these.
  2. You realise that the baritone Jaguar is a guitar, rather than a bass yes? :eyebrow:

I owned a Jaguar once. Sure looked pretty. Sounded real cruddy 99% of the time though...

Sorry, I've got no sound clips.
  3. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Not true. It's a BassVI, E-E, but yes, much different from a 5-string P bass.
  4. Kheos

Aug 12, 2002
    I just looooove the way you pop that bass, but what's that farting noice?? is that ground hum? it sounds kinda fuzzy
    you might wanne have your bass checked by a pro
  5. I'd like to hear them too!
    I'm wondering if those guitar/basses are usable for traditional bass lines.
  6. FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    A lot of people have reported that their Jaguar Baritones are usable for playing the bass parts (i.e. they sound like basses k).
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Well - it has a scale of 28.5". The Bass VI had a 30" scale, as does the Hellcat VI and the OLP MM5. The Jag's scale of 28.5" is closer to a typical baritone scale of 27".

I don't know how it is tuned from the factory, E-E or A-A, however.
  8. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    As I said in an earlier post, it's tuned E-E, and if you check the string set, it's the BassVI set.
  9. knuckle_head

knuckle_head Commercial User

Jul 30, 2002
    Owner; Knuckle Guitar Works & Circle K Strings
    The Hellcat is my fave at present. The scale length puts it on par with the MM5 but I think the Schecter is the better instrument.

That said I own the equivalent of a Jag bari/bass and can attest to it doing an astounding E-e. An up side to the shorter scale length is that the fundamental is a bit more prevalent on the Jag as the strings aren't quite as tight as they are on the Hellcat.

If it were my choice my order of preference would be Hellcat, Jag, MM5 - if I were in the market I'd indeed take any of the three. Gotta go play 'em as it's the only way you'll know. Trip to GC?

....my $.02
  10. If you e-mail me (ben@legg.com) I can send you a couple of MP3s of a OLP MM and a Ken Smith to compare. Both 5 strings, all tracks using the B string and all recorded direct from a SWR SM900. Shows off the different tones quite well.

11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    The OLP MM5 is a different instrument than what you have (the model number of it is bizarrely misleading).
  12. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY

I don't get it but whatever, lol.
  13. 05ric

Jan 10, 2006
    If you go to my website, http://www.myspace.com/rbdbyehertheweaver

and listen to the song called "One" all the sounds were done on an OLP MM5 that I bought 2 weeks ago. The bass was done with the neck pickup only. I love the instrument, I have owned Ken Smiths, Wal's, Warwicks, Several 70's Jass Basses, Alembics.
  14. ???

I have a OLP MM3 - it's a 5 string, a copy of the Music Man Stingray. It's a passive, one humbucking pickup 34inch scale bass guitar.

http://www.olpguitars.com/olp_basses/musicman/mm3bass.htm for more info.
  15. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Right. And this thread is about the MM5, which is a 6-string short-scale "Bass VI".
  16. Ooops. Sorry about that.

17. not to be a stickler, but technically it's no further from the 30 inches than it is from 27. an inch and a half from either... discuss.