Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hellcat VI

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bass_drum, Feb 27, 2005.

1. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Hey guys!

Ok first things first...I remember what happened in the Silhouette Bass Guitar Forum I started and I don't want that to happen again :scowl: ...

I've been trying to find a good six string bass like this (or bari guitar call it what you will) and either couldnt find one or the instrument was to pricey...but I think this will solve all of my problems...

So have any of you guys played one of these?? If you guys could give me soem info on these itd be greatly apreciated!

Thanks,
    ~JB~

2. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    No, but I'd like to. The only one I know of in the country here is about 1200mi away. When you get to play one, let is know what it's like.

3. well, i actually haven't played it, but i can tell you it was co-designed by robert smith of the cure, it was made as a replacement for smith's Fender bass VI. It can get a bass VI sound, but it also is supposed to be even more tonally versatile, but i can't comment on that...it appears that it would.
    personally i'd rather have a fender baritone jaguar. the jag just came out last summer to be a bass VI type bass, only with a few modifications...

4. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Why is it that youd prefer the jag?

Im still fairly new to bass, but Im good enough to start on a 6 string, im not quite sure if i could get used to playing strings B-B instead E-E, is it that hard gettin used to it?

5. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Have you looked into cheaper 6 string basses as an alternative? I don't know how set you are on a bari-guitar, but I think you may also want to look into those. Ibanez, Peavey and the likes all put out very affordable 6ers IMO (for the price). My $0.02

Ray

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Try an OLP MM5... $250 version of the EB Silouhette.

7. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Sweet thanks for the input guys! :)

8. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    So guys, how many strings are there for tuning E-E? Ive only seen musicman silhouette strings and fender VI strings... :(

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    You just need to tune a 6 string like a standard guitar - EADGBE, or you can tune a 4/5 string differently.

Ray

10. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    I know, what I mean is can you just take a set of baritone guitar strings and tune them to go to e-e low octave or are there specific sets you can buy...if so what are they?

11. as far as i know, i think i can only add danelectro to your list. i am not sure about standard baritone strings down a fifth like that, my only caution would be that the strings will probably (note i say probably) be pretty loose...

as for why i like the jag, its the bass i've been obsessed about since i first saw the bass VI about 6-7 years ago...its what led me to bass! it just has the sound i am looking for, plus, its the only baritone i've tried that is tuned E-e. i really like the sound of it, i can get a decent jazz bass sound (well, i could) it was nice and deep, and i could even slap on it! the strings were a little close, but nonetheless i could do it!
    plus its got the coolest shape of all time!

Charlie

12. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Nope. I tried that with a Danelectro Baritone and there was too much slack to really play it in E. Speaking of Dano, I did forget that they made a six string bass (like the Bass VI and Hellcat et. al.) that you may be able to find on Ebay. In any case, the Hellcat is an E-E "bass," and will come with strings that can be tuned to E without any problems.

13. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I missed this part:

The Hellcat VI press release on Harmony Central states:

"The 30" scale, the Hellcat VI is standard tuned, but one octave below a normal guitar. String gauges will range from .025 to .095"

So if Schecter doesn't sell string sets, you could probably buy single strings and make things work (provided they were longer than 30").

14. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Woudltn buying 6 single strings be fairly expensive?
    ...Just a thought...

15. kazuhank

kazuhank

Nov 12, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Even better, Ernie Ball makes a six string bass string set for the silhouette: model # EBL_2837 available for only $8.66 on juststrings.com. Those should also work on the Hellcat et. al.

Is that cheap enough for ya? ;)

16. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Just do a little research. Fender makes a set, Danelectro makes a set, D'Adarrio makes two 6-string bass sets,one for Dano scale length, and one for Fender. My personal holy grail:The Gibson EB-6.

17. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Sweet guys thanks!!!

Yeah Im leaning towards either the Jag Bari or Hellcat VI, I looked those OLPs and they dont like theyre built to last...or sound good lol

So the Jag Bari is tuned E-E then???

Yeah I guess there is a decent choice for strigns and yeah those ernieballs are cheap enough lol

So how are the jags pricewise?

Thanks So much guys!
    ~JB~

Btw SuperBassMan yeah I've fallen for that fender VI just liek you lol If that jag bari is the right price and tuned E-E it'll be my ticket out of G.A.S. city lol.

SuperBassMan do you have a Jag???

18. yeah the jag bari is E-e, just like the silhoulette and the hellcat VI, and it usually goes for about 700 bucks...you won't be disappointed, if you really want a bass VI type instrument!

19. bass_drum

bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Alberta,Canada
    Sounds like a wicked deal.

I cant thank you guys enough for helping me narrow down selection and informing me on strings and stuff. Especially you superbassman thank you so much :D

~JB~