Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by sometypeofplay, Apr 1, 2005.

1. I've been going through a personal crisis with an EB/MM Stingray 5. In the past month and a half, the neck has developed terrible backbow that made the bass completely unplayable. In the early stages of my dilemna, I took the fret buzz in stride. First raising the saddles, and resetting the intonation. It was a short term fix that only lasted a few days. With the problem getting worse, I loosened the truss rod and hoped for the best. Once again this did nothing and the bass deteriorated into a monster with the strings making absolutely no noise when fretted anywhere between the 3rd and 12th frets. Figuring that I had done all I could, I took the bass into my local repair shop, and asked for help. They once again loosened the truss rod to the point where it is completely loose, and told me that the wood had warped in the opposite direction of the fingerboard. Ultimately making the bass useless, and telling me that the problem might fix itself as the humidity and temperature changed. At this point I contacted EB/MM and asked them for advice/solutions, etc. and was informed that the bass had to come in, and if it needed a new neck (which sounds like it might), it would be rather pricey. Seeing as my financial situation is not great, this isn't really an option. Finally last night, in a last ditch effort to make the instrument functional, I shimmed the neck (It was either this or in anger and disgust smash it against the wall). This helped, but didn't elminate the buzz. At this point, the entire A string buzzes, and certain notes on the D and G strings sound terrible. The action is as high as it will go and the truss rod is as loose as possible. So, in conclusion, anyone that has an idea on how to fix my poor ailing 5er please help. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  2. pdusen

Aug 18, 2004
    Higher-tension strings?
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would choke it up for a new neck. If loosening the truss rod isnt effective, sounds like the neck is messed up.
  4. rockdoc11

Sep 2, 2000
    Try thicker and/or higher tension strings for a while, and string it up for a few days at unusually high tension (e.g., your E string actually tuned to F# or so, your A string tuned to B, and so on).

That might be enough to pull the neck back, especially with very heavy gauge strings.
  5. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should have included this in the original post, but I did switch to heavier gauge strings (EB 45-105's). I never considered tuning it up to increase the tension. I'll do that now. Thanks again, and keep 'em coming!
  6. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sounds like the neck is shot. Humidity, or lack of in the winter, will affect a guitar. But usually not to this extreme. Things like protruding frets caused by the fingerboard shrinking, Or finish cracks in the paint are more commonly caused by lack of humidity. Necks do tend to go out of wack in these conditions, but usually they bow in the opposite direction-not back. Because it gets so dry, I keep 3 guitar humidifiers in my case during the winter months to prevent these problems. As a result. I usually dont need to get a setup in the winter.

Is it a newer bass? If so, I would put up a stink with Ernie Ball and try to get them to replace it for free or cost.
  7. sambass

Apr 15, 2003
    i would say buy a graphite neck. if you are strapped for cash then just steal one. Lame situation man, my EB4 neck moves around in the winter, its generally becomes a pain to play, but I have never had anything that severe.
  8. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    You do realize EB/MM has the best customer service. Check out the Ernieball site and contact them about it, they'll take care of you.
  9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yeah man...The customer is always right.
    Tell them you were a faithfull EB customer for many years and your very upset witht the situation. If they cant resolve it they will lose you as a customer forever.
  10. Thanks guys, I'm gonna call EB again tomorrow and try to resolve the situation. (I misposted earlier the gauges are 45-130.)
  11. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Hmm, I've never really had to do a setup on my basses for winter/spring, and I see pretty much the exact same weather as you. I don't even put my basses in cases, I just leave them out on stands. Leaves me wondering if my basses are really amazing or if I'm just not noticing . . . :meh:
  12. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    I need to change the relief on my SR5 every 6 months or so. In the spring the relief disappears and the neck becomes completely straight giving the buzz (currently just around the 4th fret for me). I am going to re-string tonight and if it disappears, I will see if I can use the neck bowing as a queue so that I to know when to re-string. I keep my action really low.

Any other suggestions would also be appreciated or notes on what to look out for so that I don't run into the same problems would be appreciated.