Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hello, a little cab/head question...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Iritan, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    Alrighty here, I just have a general question about heads and cabs. I'll set up a scenario to ask. Say I have I don't know and Aguilar DB750 and two 4 ohm cabs, the GS410 and the GS112. That would run the head at 2 ohms and thet'd send 025 watt into the combined 1000. But I was just wondering, when using two cabs is the wattage split in half sending that into each cab, or is it just sending it all into to both as if they were combined. And if it is splitting it, wouldn't that tear the 112 apart? Sorry, if my question is confusing, but when confused it's hard not to produce confusing thoughts.

2. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    the current coming out of your head will be the result of the total impedance presented by all the cabs connected to it. in your example, as you said, two 4ohm cabs in parallel will "appear" as a 2 ohm load to the amp.

the current is then going to take the paths of least resistance... since BOTH of your cabs are 4 ohm, the current will be split evenly between them . each cab will get half of the current from the head. therefore, to answer your question, YES. In your situation, each cab gets the same POWER (watts).

HOwever, as a result of this, each SPEAKER within your 2 cabs will not be running at the same wattage.

For example, if you are pushing a total of 500 watts at 2 ohm, then each of the 4 ohm cabs gets enough current ot run at 250 watts (500/2). however, since your 2x12 has 2 drivers in it, EACH of those drivers will split that 250 watts, thereby each running at 125 watts, wheras in your 112, there is only one driver (excluding crossover and tweeters etc) so it is running at 250 watts.

Looked at a different way, one may see it as being better to have an 8 ohm 112 in conjunction with your 4 ohm 2x12. in this case, each driver will get close to the same current, and therefore be "pushed" relatively the same. Then again, your overall impedance will only be 2.67 ohm, and this is goiing to result in a slightly lower current and therefore a lightly reduced POWER output as compared to the 2 ohm example you gave above.

Whether it matters at all, i dont know.

3. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    If your DB750 is running 1000 watts @ 2 ohms, each cab would more than likely get 500 watts each. I don't know the specs, Whats the 4 ohm load rated at 750? If so you may be getting 750 to each cab. I have no idea what you mean by 025 watts.

4. Iritan

Iritan

Jun 3, 2005
    Wilmington, N.C.
    925 not 025, typo.