Hello CREAM?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by babaseen, Nov 9, 2004.

1. babaseen

babaseen Don't mean a thing if it ain't got that swing Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Being a major fan of Jack Bruce during his Cream years...

I thought I just heard (on the radio) that Cream (Jack Bruce, Ginger Baker and Eric Clapton) is planning a reunion gig(s) next year...actually the plan is to play a week of performances at the Royal Albert Hall in London where it all ended. Can anyone confirm this? :hyper:
  2. I can't confirm that but it would be awesome.
  3. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    That would be.....AWESOME!
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Looks real enough...

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Time for a vacation trip to old Blighty, I'd say :p

Amazing it it really happens...the sticking point has always been that Clapton doesn't gain as much from it as Bruce and Baker, so there's little incentive for him. He already rakes in $$$$$$ with his solo tours but they can't, so why share the spoils.

But if the inevitable live CD/DVD shows up, Bruce wins big time because most of the songs were his.

Time will tell if Jack and Ginger can avoid punching each other out :bag:
  6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Ginger needed punching out. I seriously dislike his playing. I like Cream as a whole, but wonder how they would have sounded with a different drummer-say..John Bonham instead?
  7. I guess it's your perogative to dislike whoever you'd care to dislike, but I think Ginger made the perfect fit. No one- especially at that time was using the toms like Baker. Most of the drummers who play "Sunshine" play it all wrong. I think the entire idea he's playing with "Hey Now Princess" is mind bogglingly amazing. On the other hand, every drum solo I hear from him has stick hits in it- take that FWIW...

What I really loved about Cream is Clapton's guitar sound. Just amazing- Clapton+Gibson+Marshall=God. The problem is I don't think Clapton is going to use that combination when they get together again. I just don't like that "Bad Love" Strat+Soldano sound Clapton's had. The most recent stuff I've heard from Bruce is "Out of Time" which I kind of liked. I haven't heard anything from Baker, except what was on "Out Of Time" as well.

Anyone think it's a bad idea to "revisit the past" like this?
  8. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow. that could be really cool, especially if they don't try to "modernize" the songs and have other musicians adding in.

Another Ginger Baker fan here.

9. Mel Monihan

Mel Monihan

Mar 30, 2004
    I also heard that the rumor was true, but that the guys were not talking to each other.That should be one hell of a tour if the guys in the band dislike each other enough not to want to talk to each other.Do you think they need the money?
  10. Don't think Eric needs it, Ginger might, and I don't think Jack would turn it down.
  11. CNN also just announced it, so I hope it is true.
    It's about time that Eric gets back to the lineup where
    his creativity was really challenged. Ginger Baker is IMO THE
    drummer who co-created Cream's sound.

:hyper: :hyper: :hyper:
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Hey Jorg, this sounds like reason for a ROADTRIP!

I cut my teeth with free jamming back in the day playing Cream tunes.
  13. klorence

Nov 21, 2001
    Pittsburgh, PA

I'm not a drummer, but a friend of mine remarked on the fact that Baker was even more amazing given the fact that in the earlier shows the drums weren't miked. Going up against the other guys, noting their amplification, I can forgive a few stick hits... :)
  14. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I think White Room was literally the first song I learned on bass.

The bass player in my high school band doubled on guitar (he was a closet guitarist anyway) so I played bass instead of keys (I was a closet bassist anyway).

15. petch

petch Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Medina, Ohio
    I totally agree with the comments about Eric's guitar tone. Here's hoping he plays a Gibson! :hyper:
  16. i found a cd at the library of ginger baker's newest recording...its pretty cool, and it's baker kinda getting back to jazz. all-star line up too, charlie haden on bass, bill frisell on guitar and himself on drums. i forget what its called, but that first track is awesome!
  17. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

"Those where the days, yes the were. Those where days..."
  18. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    I hope Bruce brings out the Gibson & Marshalls, and doesn't use that Warwick & Hartke crap. :rollno:

I guess Marshall heads with Schroeder cabs would be nice, though. :smug:
  19. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I don't think they'd still be Cream after all these years, most likely fungused bacteria.

20. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I love Cream, but I've always seen Clapton as the weak link. To me he's at his best playing simple blues than trying to do rock.

I'll still check out the inevitable DVD of the concert though.